Hybrid Backup Sync Authentication Timeout with Backblaze

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Iceman24
Getting the hang of things

Hybrid Backup Sync Authentication Timeout with Backblaze

Post by Iceman24 »

Anyone else experiencing the following?

I just set it up with QTS 4.3.3.0238. I am backing up large image backup file from Acronis. Just that one file. 24 hours in, it has done this. 2 times in a row. To the minute.

Code: Select all

[CloudBackupSync] (Sync) job failed because of a cloud storage authentication error. Please re-login your account.
I don't even need to relogin. I can just restart backup, but it basically starts over, uploading file from scratch, unable to finish because of this. Any help is much appreciated. I prefer not to be uploading until time indefinite.
piers
New here

Re: Hybrid Backup Sync Authentication Timeout with Backblaze

Post by piers »

I'm getting exactly the same problem on a few of my backup jobs, but not all of them! (settings are the same apart from which folders are copied from/to)

Failed to find anything on how to solve this.
piers
New here

Post by piers »

QNAP ??
amh9002
New here

Post by amh9002 »

Same issue. Failing just after 24 hours. I think it relates to the backblaze b2_authorize_account API call. Tokens are only good for 24 hours, so uploads are being terminated once the token expires. I don't see any setting that would trigger a refresh, so, if this is the issue, QNAP would need to provide an update that would get a new token before the current one expires.

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/docs/b2_au ... count.html

As a potential workaround, I am trying another upload, but I bumped the Concurrent processing files from 5 to 8 (Advanced Job Settings). Maybe if the job processes more files at once, the upload will finish before 24 hours. Doubtful, but worth a shot.
Wilbert
New here

Post by Wilbert »

Hi guys, I also noticed this and have sent the following ticket to QNAP support (see below).

So far quite a miserable experience working with the support from QNAP (excellent examples on how NOT to treat basically free bug reports for your applications). I'm currently running a new job to see if the new firmware solved it. I don't think so (because I could not see this bug being mentioned on the release for the Hybrid Backup Sync app) but I promised the support guy I'd give it a shot.

In the meanwhile, you can simply restart the job. Files will have been uploaded in those 24 hours. My job now takes less time than the 24 hours and it now works fine. You simply have to re-run the job to feed that initial data. Hope this helps someone out there.

My mail to support:

First of all, I'm testing the new Hybrid Backup Sync application and I really like it. I'm currently using it with Backblaze as the cloud storage. This works fine except for one thing: a sync job will end with an error after 24 hours. See the following message from the log.

Server Name: QNAPTS219P
IP Address: 192.168.0.11
Date/Time: 2017/07/24 11:00:36
Level: Error

[CloudBackupSync] (Sync) job [Backblaze B2 backup - Foto] failed because of a cloud storage authentication error. Please re-login your account.

This happens because I think you are using the API from Backblaze incorrectly. When starting to use the API (which is necessary for uploading files to Backblaze) you have to authenticate. When you have authenticated, Backblaze will give you a token which then has to be used for all the further API-calls during the session.

This token only has a lifetime of 24 hours. So if a job runs longer it will run into this situation. The correct way to handle this error popping up is to re-authenticate and use a new token.

Please see the documentation of the API at https://www.backblaze.com/b2/docs/b2_au ... count.html. The documentation clearly states: This authorization token is valid for at most 24 hours.

So whenever an operation fails with the following HTTP error, the best way to handle this is to authenticate again, get a new token and try the last operation again.

401 expired_auth_token Authorization token has expired

Would really appreciate it if you could fix this in an upcoming update.
Iceman24

Post by Iceman24 »

QNAP told me that they are fixing this issue for next version of Hybrid Backup Sync, due out at a date TBD. They indicated as much as a month, possibly.

For me, redoing sync didn't work, probably because I was only syncing one file. It just redid the file, instead of continuing it. I'll just be waiting for the new version, rather than split my file up.
Wilbert
New here

Post by Wilbert »

Just finished my test today - the new firmware does *not* yet fix this bug. I would advise everyone to monitor the releasenotes of the hybrid backup sync application.
Iceman24

Post by Iceman24 »

Strange. It has version number even later than the one they said would fix it. Mine must be about to fail then, almost 24 hours.
Wilbert
New here

Post by Wilbert »

I also suspect that this issue will not be solved with a firmware update but with an update of the hybrid backup sync application. The helpdesk said that they would transfer this issue to the R&D team in Taiwan.

I suggest that people watch the release notes for the application at https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... bridBackup
amh9002
New here

Post by amh9002 »

It's been a couple of weeks since I have looked at this, but switching to a mirror action (instead of copy) allowed me to get everything synced to B2. still took over 24 hours and failed, but restarting the job did allow for the job to pick up where it left off. As you pointed out Iceman, I don't know if this would work for a single file. Glad QNAP has it on their radar at least. Thanks Wilbert for submitting a ticket.
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

I just want to say that with Hybrid Backup Sync version 2.1.170818, I'm still having this timeout/authentication issue.

It's really annoying because it fails on a large file (a 50GB one) after uploading at 300KB/s (about 1/10 of my upload speed) because it's only a single thread/file I think.
TVS-872XT-i5-16GB with 6*ST12000VNZ008 in RAID 6.
Backed up to a stack of a half dozen 'cold' external 12TB and 8TB HDDs - please back up your data, RAID is not the same as a backup!

Formerly TVS-463 with 4*WD60EFRX in RAID5, planning to reuse as an additional backup destination in the new year.
All protected by an APC SMT750VA UPS - protect your NAS from bad power!
Iceman24

Post by Iceman24 »

Another version came out, but nothing about Backblaze, although the changelog was quite lengthy.
jasonwoerner
Starting out

Post by jasonwoerner »

I've already seen the 24-hour issue appear with this latest version. Not fixed.
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

Yeah. I'm still getting the 24 hour (and 2 minute) timeout issue.

Once made it to 48 hours at 2 minutes, but that was a one off, I think.
TVS-872XT-i5-16GB with 6*ST12000VNZ008 in RAID 6.
Backed up to a stack of a half dozen 'cold' external 12TB and 8TB HDDs - please back up your data, RAID is not the same as a backup!

Formerly TVS-463 with 4*WD60EFRX in RAID5, planning to reuse as an additional backup destination in the new year.
All protected by an APC SMT750VA UPS - protect your NAS from bad power!
Iceman24

Post by Iceman24 »

I heard about some new Java SDK that is supposed to be able to auto-renew the authorization token. Does anyone know if this is something we are relying on QNAP in integrating and a timetable on this happening?

Return to “Backup & Restore”