Hybrid Backup Sync, policy Copy vs Mirror

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
chrisos
New here

Hybrid Backup Sync, policy Copy vs Mirror

Post by chrisos »

In Hybrid Backup Sync, for the Sync Job policy, the 3 actions are mirror, copy and move.

In Copy, you have the option to only transfer updated files. You can also set the conflict policy for files of rename/overwrite/skip.

However with copy, files deleted at the source will not delete them from the destination.

My question is, with the mirror policy, there is no tick option to only upload updated files. What does mirror do if a file hasn't been updated, this isn't clear. You don't want stuff re-uploaded if it hasn't changed.

From the website:

"Mirror means your data at local and cloud are identical after synchronization, and extra files/folders at the destination will be deleted.

Copy will transfer all of the files from the source to destination. Enable “Only transfer updated files” to skip unmodified files. This setting also provides the “Rename/Replace/Skip” conflict policy. Before synchronization, if there are local and cloud files with the same name, Cloud Backup Sync will follow your conflict policy to handle these files."

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutor ... ackup-sync

No clarity.

Thanks
chrisos
New here

Re: Hybrid Backup Sync, policy Copy vs Mirror

Post by chrisos »

Sorry to bump, but no one have any ideas? Thanks
jc.online
New here

Post by jc.online »

chrisos wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 pm Sorry to bump, but no one have any ideas? Thanks
Hi chrisos, did you get to a solution / answer on this?

I too would like to use Mirror, but when i changed one of my scheduled jobs to mirror (from Copy) recently, it suddently started trying to "Compare" all files to the backup destination location and "Downloads" traffic via BackBlaze shot through the roof; i'm unclear whether this is a one-off whilst this mode is enabled and getting started or whether every time the job runs it will be checking all files (source vs destination)?

Anyone else know?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@jc.online, that's great you answered the question from chrisos yourself.

Apparently HBS download the files to compare them. That to me sounds logical for a mode named "Mirror". There aren't many other ways to find out if the files are the same or different than to compare it to the file on the NAS.

As I don't know I'm guessing now but since logically there's no other way to know for sure if the files have changed, I would expect that they'll have to be compared every time
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Mattyx08
New here

Post by Mattyx08 »

Hi!

I'm using HBS v2.1 and I noticed that behavior too!
I directly set up a mirror "Sync" job to Backblaze B2 and after a while it failed due to cap hitting of Class B Transactions (file_info + file_download).

@jc.online when the job is set to "copy" does it not download the files?

I wonder if that issue is solved in HBS3... I read that now Backblaze B2 is supported natively as a "Backup" target... too bad my QNAP doesn't support HBS3... :(
Matteo

############################
QNAP TS-419P II
RAID10 -> 4 x Western Digital RED 3TB
FW: 4.3.3.0262
############################

Return to “Backup & Restore”