Crashplan Home alternatives?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
wishmasterflo
Getting the hang of things

Crashplan Home alternatives?

Post by wishmasterflo »

I am trying to figure out which Cloud Service I should chose now after Crashplan for Home.

Crashplan for small Business sounds good and would be the easiest to migrate as well but it costs much more then other Services and I even have not much data to Backup (20-30 GB only).

I took a look at Backblaze B2 and iDrive .
Backblaze B2 will be quite cheap for me for storing my amount of Data so that is good. But they dont have an own App for QNAP so I need to use Hybrid Backup Sync on my QNAP for this. Is that working well? I read somewhere that there were some issues with Hybrid Backup Sync. And on Backblaze B2 the data is not saved encrypted on their Servers like it is with Crashplan or? That would be nice to have.
I read that it is possible to activate encryption in the Hybrid Backup Sync app but that is not the best way to do or?

iDrive seems to be good as well, they seem to have a app for QNAP and I guess they are storing the Data encrypted on their Servers and have a Android mobile app as well.
But it seems that the apps are not working very good? I heard that some poeple had issues with their Backups and especially with the restore of the Data.
Also it seems that the support from iDrive is not really good and not fast to answer questions? Seems a bit unseriously or?

Any more input or suggestions on this?
Who is using Backblaze B2 or iDrive here with QNAP and can share some experience?

Thanks!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Crashplan Home alternatives?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

if you want to backup up to 10tb ish on idrive, your basically paying 10 times what you were before. just a heads up.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
wishmasterflo

Post by wishmasterflo »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:if you want to backup up to 10tb ish on idrive, your basically paying 10 times what you were before. just a heads up.
Thanks. I have less than 1TB of data to save so that should not be an issue.
wishmasterflo

Post by wishmasterflo »

As I have read many negative reports about idrive I guess I will give Backblaze B2 a try.
sdicandia
First post

Post by sdicandia »

Backblaze seems robust and affordable. My concern is Hybrid backup supports B2 just for sync jobs, and not backups.
Thus I cannot keep track of previous versions, and I feel less protected in case of ransomware.
Anyone knows how to manage this?

Thanks
wishmasterflo

Post by wishmasterflo »

sdicandia wrote:Backblaze seems robust and affordable. My concern is Hybrid backup supports B2 just for sync jobs, and not backups.
Thus I cannot keep track of previous versions, and I feel less protected in case of ransomware.
Anyone knows how to manage this?

Thanks
Ohh yes you are right. Hybrid Backup is only doing sync and no Backup to B2. How to handle that in the best way? We will have Backup to B2 and not sync only. :(
And it seems you can only use B2 with a NAS not the normal Backblaze Online Backup. That seems to be for Drive/PC/Mac Backup only and can not Backup shared/mapped drives as I understand.
For that we should use B2.

There is a Software called " CloudBerry NAS Backup" for QNAP but that is not developed anymore and can just be used as it is now. That is supporting Bacbblaze B2 and I guess it is doing a real Backup and not Sync.
Someone who knows?
DigitalOxygen.ca
Know my way around

Post by DigitalOxygen.ca »

I have been investigating this pretty heavily the past week or so. I have come to the conclusion that Backblaze B2 is the cheapest (depending on amount of storage you need) and in most cases best option. The downside is that you need to use your own client to upload to B2 as it's just raw cloud storage space and nothing else. Like a network share in the cloud almost. That means just about everything is up to the client (encryption, de-duplication, etc). However there are options under the B2 settings for each "Bucket" that you create that allow for adjusting the lifecycle of the files, to a degree.

I looked at Cloud Berry as a client but like others do not want to rely on a discontinued, "as-is" native QNAP client. Thus, it seems the only feasible option is to use a desktop client while connected to the NAS via a SMB or similar share.

It may be possible to setup a Linux based, command-line backup tool on the NAS directly, but I find those cumbersome to use and they don't provide a lot of visibility or transparent information. I prefer visual status of backups as opposed to log files and alike. Duplicacy seems to be the best in this area but not sure if it could be made to run on all QNAP NAS's directly or not. Haven't dug deep on this. https://www.reddit.com/r/Crashplan/comm ... _are_your/

I'm close to settling on GoodSync over CloudBerry and others for a couple reasons. FYI that the CloudBerry desktop app limits you to 1TB of backups. Beyond that you have to pay much more for upscaled versions of the app that are more business or enterprise focused.

GoodSync (my thoughts):

Pros:
* Original, raw files backed up (not obscure chunks and such like apps that do de-duplication)
* Nice interface for inclusions / exclusions (right-click on files in the analysis panel). Similar to Chronosync.
* Supports encryption (though not clear what kind)
* Lots of configuration options
* Built-in backup explorer even for cloud destinations. Allows you to interact with the B2 backup Bucket in a Finder / Explorer-like window.

Cons:
* No de-duplication? Does not matter for me.
Last edited by DigitalOxygen.ca on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalOxygen.ca
Know my way around

Here is a similar overall approach to what I'm describing but different cloud storage provider and clients.
http://blog.quindorian.org/2017/08/diy- ... tyle.html/
wishmasterflo

Post by wishmasterflo »

DigitalOxygen.ca wrote:I have been investigating this pretty heavily the past week or so. I have come to the conclusion that Backblaze B2 is the cheapest (depending on amount of storage you need) and in most cases best option. The downside is that you need to use your own client to upload to B2 as it's just raw cloud storage space and nothing else. Like a network share in the cloud almost. That means just about everything is up to the client (encryption, de-duplication, etc). However there are options under the B2 settings for each "Bucket" that you create that allow for adjusting the lifecycle of the files, to a degree.

I looked at Cloud Berry as a client but like others do not want to rely on a discontinued, "as-is" native QNAP client. Thus, it seems the only feasible option is to use a desktop client while connected to the NAS via a SMB or similar share.

It may be possible to setup a Linux based, command-line backup tool on the NAS directly, but I find those cumbersome to use and they don't provide a lot of visibility or transparent information. I prefer visual status of backups as opposed to log files and alike. Duplicacy seems to be the best in this area but not sure if it could be made to run on all QNAP NAS's directly or not. Haven't dug deep on this. https://www.reddit.com/r/Crashplan/comm ... _are_your/

I'm close to settling on GoodSync over CloudBerry and others for a couple reasons. FYI that the CloudBerry desktop app limits you to 1TB of backups. Beyond that you have to pay much more for upscaled versions of the app that are more business or enterprise focused.

GoodSync (my thoughts):

Pros:
* Original, raw files backed up (not obscure chunks and such like apps that do de-duplication)
* Nice interface for inclusions / exclusions (right-click on files in the analysis panel). Similar to Chronosync.
* Supports encryption (though not clear what kind)
* Lots of configuration options
* Built-in backup explorer even for cloud destinations. Allows you to interact with the B2 backup Bucket in a Finder / Explorer-like window.

Cons:
* No de-duplication? Does not matter for me.
Oh great. Thanks a lot for this. I havent heard about Goodsync until now so that is perhaps a good solution. I have set up a Backblaze B2 account now to Test a bit. Have set it up on the QNAP with Hybrid Backup Sync. It is working so far. Upload speed is between 500kb and 1MBit/sec (I am located in Stockholm) .

Saw that there is a Goodsync Server for QNAP but I dont think that this will help to Backup the NAS to Backblaze B2 or?
Guess we need to use the Desktop app for Windows for example or?
Can that use the Network Drive from the QNAP to Backup to B2 . Guess I will Test that after lunch now and see how it works.
wishmasterflo

Post by wishmasterflo »

Hi DigitalOxygen.ca

Have you tried Goodsync yet?
I have installed Goodsync Server on my QNAP now. Took a bit to get it running. Had to do some steps as it seems that the latest Version will not work directly. You have to downgrade to an older Version first and then Upgrade to the latest Version again as written in this Thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=123700&p=636189#p636189

Have installed Goodsync on my Windows 10 PC and tried to set up Goodsync Connect to connect to my QNAP Goodsync Server but I guess I missed something here since it is not working as it should right now.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

[youtube=]eKNtnVBSdsc[/youtube]
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
-nth-
New here

Post by -nth- »

I ran across another cloud provider that looks promising (https://www.pcloud.com). They've got "lifetime" storage plans available and are currently offering their 500 GB lifetime plan for $49 over at AppSumo (https://appsumo.com/pcloud).

It would be nice to see QNAP add a native cloud connector for pcloud, but there is a webdav endpoint available until then (https://webdav.pcloud.com).

Currently though I'm having an issue with using the WebDAV and Hybrid Backup Sync apps not creating folders. If folders are created manually the backup works great! For further detail on this issue see this form post.
DigitalOxygen.ca
Know my way around

wishmasterflo wrote:Hi DigitalOxygen.ca

Have you tried Goodsync yet?
I have installed Goodsync Server on my QNAP now. Took a bit to get it running. Had to do some steps as it seems that the latest Version will not work directly. You have to downgrade to an older Version first and then Upgrade to the latest Version again as written in this Thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=123700&p=636189#p636189

Have installed Goodsync on my Windows 10 PC and tried to set up Goodsync Connect to connect to my QNAP Goodsync Server but I guess I missed something here since it is not working as it should right now.
If you just want to backup your NAS to the cloud you don't need to install the GoodSync QNAP app (which is now unsupported anyway?). Just map a drive on your Windows PC to the QNAP share you want to backup and tell GoodSync to back that up to your cloud storage provider, etc.
wishmasterflo

Post by wishmasterflo »

DigitalOxygen.ca wrote:
If you just want to backup your NAS to the cloud you don't need to install the GoodSync QNAP app (which is now unsupported anyway?). Just map a drive on your Windows PC to the QNAP share you want to backup and tell GoodSync to back that up to your cloud storage provider, etc.
OK I see. Thank you.
mydjtl

Post by mydjtl »

What about Degoo 100GB free! And hubic 25GB free. MEA 50GB free!
TS-251+
(2) Seagate IronWolf 12TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives
8gb RAM in one slot. 4.3.3
Firmware as of 3/8/2020: 4.4.1.1216 (2/14/2020)

Return to “Backup & Restore”