Keep deleted files in cloud backup/sync

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
BobDen
New here

Keep deleted files in cloud backup/sync

Post by BobDen »

Hi guys,
I consider getting a single-drive QNAP NAS, and having backup/sync to Amazon Drive as an additional layer of safety, in case the NAS disk breaks, gets stolen, etc..
I see that Synology has a cloud-sync option called “Don't remove files in the destination folder when they are removed in the source folder.”
Does QNAP have a similar feature?

In the documentation, I have found a policy setting described as “reserving deleted files in the cloud and configurable retention periods for backup”.
However, it looks to me like these policies can only be applied certain cloud storage solutions (Amazon S3, Backblaze B2) but not Amazon Drive or Dropbox.

Do any of you have experience on this matter?
Suggestions/recommendations are much appreciated :)

TLDR: Does QNAP NAS have a “don't remove files in the destination folder when they are removed in the source folder” option, that can be applied to a one-way Amazon Drive sync?
3rdparty
Starting out

Re: Keep deleted files in cloud backup/sync

Post by 3rdparty »

I asked QNAP support about retaining previous versions in B2 and they said Hybrid Backup Sync only sync's by design - meaning it deletes previous versions first and then uploads the most recent version. I am hoping they will support retaining previous versions of files/folders in an upcoming update.

FWIW, where did you see “reserving deleted files in the cloud and configurable retention periods for backup” specific to B2?
BobDen
New here

Post by BobDen »

Hi 3rdparty,

Eventually I asked the qnap support, and they told me that cloud backup jobs have a "copy" option in advanced settings.
Using "copy" shouldn't delete files in the destionation if they are deleted in the source folder.
I have yet to try it out, but that is what I understood from their reply.

I found the "reserving deleted files" part here: https://www.qnap.com/sv-se/how-to/tutor ... ation-note
The link is a tutorial for the Hybrid Backup Sync App.. but I see now that B2 isn't mentioned in that tutorial.

However, judging from this page https://www.qnap.com/solution/hybrid-backup-sync/en/ it seems that B2 is supported by Hybrid Backup Sync.
.. I dunno - to be on the safe side I would recommend you to ask qnap support.
They were really nice and helped me out :)
3rdparty
Starting out

Post by 3rdparty »

I think the key difference here is "Backup" vs "Sync". Deleted file retention appears to only be supported by "Backup", which currently seems to exclude B2.

"Sync" supports B2, but deletes the file on the cloud destination and does not retain previous versions, which is too bad.

https://www.qnap.com/solution/hybrid-ba ... /en/#hb-7f

Return to “Backup & Restore”