Rsync two-way sync

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Glikogen
New here

Rsync two-way sync

Post by Glikogen »

Hi All

Can you help me understand how rsync works in QNAP? During my tests, I could only get one-way synchronization from local to remote NAS. Is it possible to get this working in opposite way (remote to local) or get two-way sync?
This is how it is now:
NAS1-->NAS2
Capture.PNG
These are my RSync server settings. RSync servers are running on both devices but as far as I understand just one remote server (NAS2) should be enough.
Capture2.PNG
I'm not sure which credentials should I enter here, manual says:
"Enter the username and password to authenticate the Rsync server which attempts to back up data to the NAS."
Whatever I enter it doesn't get me any additional option to do NAS2-->NAS1 sync.

G.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Rsync two-way sync

Post by storageman »

RTRR is two way sync
Glikogen
New here

Post by Glikogen »

True.
But Rsync is preferred option as it could work in block level mode (I want use NAS-to-NAS option) rather than file level like RRTR.
If two-way sync is impossible, maybe there is a way to set a one-way sync but remote server to a local one?

G.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Glikogen wrote:...maybe there is a way to set a one-way sync but remote server to a local one?
No. NAS to NAS/Rsync only work with push not pull. :(

RTRR can do pull as well but as you say, it's file based.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Run RSYNC on a slow processor and I can guarantee you that RTRR is faster, especially if files are relatively small.
RSYNC is only good on faster processor where the block comparison works faster or predominantly large files.

Sure you can RSYNC to eachother NAS but watch out not at the same time and not with files open.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

On very slow (often WAN) connections Rsync is the only usable alternative regardless of CPU but on gigabit LAN and better I agree with storageman.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
devries
New here

Post by devries »

Totally agree -
a shame there is not a pull backup option and exclusions option in Rsync coded in Hybrid sync Backup. it would make backups much easier instead of manualy setting things up in a terminal.
And please get rid of the so called "create job" routine.
Why not have one page with al the options visible .
Simply gray out what is not able to be selected anymore if one option above is selected.

Having one fast backup station that controles backups for other nas systems to do a backup to makes it way easier to control what is running at what time.

Return to “Backup & Restore”