Files disappeared from share folder.

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
davehooper
Starting out

Files disappeared from share folder.

Post by davehooper »

Hi all.
I seem to have lost nearly 2tb of recorded video files from my NAS.
I have an Enigma 2 cable receiver and have been saving movies for the last couple of years to Recorded tv shared folder on my Nas, its a 4 bay TS-453A.
A couple of weeks ago I installed new software on the cable receiver and was trying to set up a new CIFS network share to the NAS to access the recorded tv files on the NAS.
I was having difficulty getting it to work for some reason so I ended up deleting the network shares which had failed. Later on I noticed all the recorded movie files .ts format had disappeared from within the Recorded tv folder and I have no idea where they have gone or how to get them back. I didn't delete them I only deleted the network shares on the cable receiver. I did not have a recycle bin enabled for that particular folder either.
The Storage Manager Utilisation facility shows the usage drop down from 3.13tb to 813 gb on around 6th November 2017 but I have no idea where they have gone. I have tried doing a wildcard search for *.ts files but nothing found, and nothing in Recycle. Also I did not have backup set up on the NAS as I am only using it for media storage. I have 3 6tb WD Red drives installed in Raid 5 configuration.
Does anyone know of a way to recover the files even though they weren't technically deleted from the NAS.
Any help appreciated,
Thank you.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Files disappeared from share folder.

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
davehooper wrote:I was having difficulty getting it to work for some reason so I ended up deleting the network shares which had failed. Later on I noticed all the recorded movie files .ts format had disappeared from within the Recorded tv folder and I have no idea where they have gone or how to get them back. I didn't delete them I only deleted the network shares on the cable receiver.
I suspect that's where it happened. It will depend on how your receiver "deletes" shares. What it should have done is just unmount the share. But it sounds like it deleted all the files in the share first. :S
davehooper wrote:The Storage Manager Utilisation facility shows the usage drop down from 3.13tb to 813 gb on around 6th November 2017 but I have no idea where they have gone.
If the storage usage has dropped, then the files are gone. And as this happened a few days ago, it's unlikely the files can be recovered now as the NAS probably started using the space those files occupied to write new things into. Sorry. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
davehooper
Starting out

Re: Files disappeared from share folder.

Post by davehooper »

Ok thanks very much for reply. I have tried not to use the NAS since files were lost in the hope of recovery but oh well what’s done is done !!

Return to “Backup & Restore”