Backup/Start Over

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Phifer
Getting the hang of things

Backup/Start Over

Post by Phifer »

Good Day Everyone,

I have a TS-651. Currently it has 6 WD Red 3TB hard drives. I as running low on space and wanted to upgrade my drives so I got 3 10TB drives. I plan to start from scratch but have some questions. If I backup my data and then start with 2 of the 3 TB drives and then add a second storage pool consisting of the 3 10TB drives does that mean I will be able to wipe my NAS operating system by erasing the 3TB drives and leaving the 10TB drives alone?

I am curious because in the few years I have owned the NAS I have tried multiple apps from the app store and installed some manually. When I remove the apps I don't care for it seems they leave a little extra behind. So similar to Windows operating system I think I would benefit from wiping the OS and starting over. Of course I do that to my Windows machine annually and would not expect to do this to my NAS as often.

So all in all will the NAS only build up it's Operating System on the first storage pool or will it span across multiple?

Thank you in advance.
TS-651 / (1) 8gb stick crucial ram / (2) 3tb WD red hard drives (Raid1) / (4) 10tb HGST Deskstar NAS 7200 rpm (Raid5) / FW QTS 4.2.5 / OSX Operating system
One Ethernet port connected to my private network

Return to “Backup & Restore”