hybrid backup sync - encryption

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
tomvv
New here

hybrid backup sync - encryption

Post by tomvv »

Hello everyone,

I want to backup my qnap to backblaze and use option "client side encryption".

In case my qnap is stolen, damaged etc. I will buy new one - will I be able to recover and decrypt these backups to this new qnap ? (assuming I know the password )

And is there any app, that would let me decrypt this backups without qnap nas ?

Thank you for your answers

Tomas
outsideshot
New here

Re: hybrid backup sync - encryption

Post by outsideshot »

Are you asking if there is an app by Backblaze that will let you decrypt files restored from Backblaze to a different device, or are you asking if there is an alternative to Backblaze that will backup data encrypted o the cloud and allow for decryption/restore to other (non-NAS or non-QNAP) devices?
tomvv
New here

Post by tomvv »

1/ I would like to know if I can restore backup , that was encrypted on Qnap NAS to another Qnap NAS . The encryptiom is done in hybrid backup sync application. The backblaze is not important as it could be another cloud storage too.

2/ I would like to know if it is possible to decrypt backup, that was encrypted in hybrid backup sync application without qnap NAS for example with some external SW.
frostbit
Starting out

Post by frostbit »

There is a java tool around. It's not an official one, but seems to work viewtopic.php?f=15&t=124323. Somewhere in the middle of the thread.

May I ask you if you're already backing up files using client side encryption? Because there seems to be an issue with the sync mechanism. Discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=147383&hilit=backblaze
tomvv
New here

Post by tomvv »

Well I am just testing this backup solution,but the backup is very unstable. I have same problems like in your link.
First test upload was OK, but download ended with errors and adding another upload ended again with error.

Return to “Backup & Restore”