Qsync, Snapshot, Windows Previous Versions

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
tofuhaai
First post

Qsync, Snapshot, Windows Previous Versions

Post by tofuhaai »

Hello all,

I am looking for help advice on correct setup of Qsync and snaphots:

I am trying to setup a system where users can view/restore file versions using Windows 10 "Previous Versions".
Users have two areas - /home and Qsync, both of which are setup using default settings (logically located both in /homes/<user>)

I have setup snapshots on the Volume containing /homes, the results are:
files in users' home directory - (snaphot works) files are visible in snapshot manager and file station. (restore) files can be seen/restored using "Previous Versions"
Qsync (snapshot) files are snapshot - files can be seen in snapshot manager and file station for admin). (restore) However, previous versions do not appear in "Previous versions".

I have not turned on "Version Control" in Qsync central.

I assume that turning on version control would create copies in Qsync as well as snapshots - correct?

QSync 3.0.4.3
QTS 4.3.6.0923

thanks
wysim
First post

Re: Qsync, Snapshot, Windows Previous Versions

Post by wysim »

I have the same issue.

"Normal" SMB Folders work with "Previous Version" on windows 8.

However, in Qsync folders on Windows the "Previous Version" is not available.
Only in the webbrowser with the "File Station" App.

Qsnyc 4.3.8.1009
QTS 4.4.1.1146
fredswed
New here

Re: Qsync, Snapshot, Windows Previous Versions

Post by fredswed »

If I understand your questions correctly, this behaviour is by design.

When you browse the /home folder via Windows Networking (SMB), you are browsing the files on the NAS. If you right-click a file to see Previous versions your windows machine asks the NAS which previous versions are available and the NAS responds with info from snapshots.

The .Qsync folder is not visible by default when browsing the home folder, so I presume you are talking about the Qsync folder on you Windows machine. In that case you are browsing files on the local drive where there are no snapshots or previous versions to present.

When Qsync synchronizes files to the NAS it maintains old versions on the NAS (if you checked the box). Therefore you cannot see older versions from Windows as you always access the files from your local drive. Instead you need to open the File station web interface. Notably, Qsync does not use snapshots for previous versions, most likely as copies of the file stored in a clever location. But I cannot find where.

Synced files are managed by the Qsync app and should not be accessed directly from a SMB share. The idea is that the users will work with these files on their Windows machines and leaves to Qsync to manage them on the NAS. The .Qsync folder is hidden by default so the user cannot accidentally screw up the versions that Qsync so carefully has saved.

Return to “Backup & Restore”