Moving from TVS-873e to TVS-872XT, Best way?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
jhalttu
New here

Moving from TVS-873e to TVS-872XT, Best way?

Post by jhalttu »

Im Moving from TVS-873e (6x3TB) to TVS-872XT (6x6TB). (and adding 1060 GPU + EXTRA RAM..)
What is the Best way for files?
New NAS has new drives. Machines are at same LAN

My idea:
-Mirror all files and settings from OLD NAS to NEW NAS.
-Make OLD NAS as backup for some items for NEW NAS.

Best way to proceed?
jhalttu
New here

Re: Moving from TVS-873e to TVS-872XT, Best way?

Post by jhalttu »

Nobody?
I just initialized 872XT.
both machines has latest firmware.

Maybe I just do plain copy over ethernet for all folders with filestation to move plex library and surveilance ? Are all files visible for copy or some hidden so I cannot copy them?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

are those hdds already populated? cause if so then migration (which is removing the hdds from old nas and put them in new nas, boot up to start the migration. check manual to learn about migration) is not an option.

then how about doing hybrid backup sync (HBS), make a restore job to pull the data from the OLD nas, to transfer it over to the new NAS. Thats what i do.

But before you do that, initialize your new NAS so you can have a fresh qts install. Then you setup your storage manager to add pools/volumes etc.... then setup the shares.... when the raid finished rebuilding/sync/optimization, then you can run the HBS restore.

When restore is complete, DISABLE IT, so you avoid mistakes like running it when you don't need to.

You can then create sync or backup jobs from the new main nas, to the old NAS (which is now your backup)

these are just example setups
Storage Pool 1 - Volume 1 - SSD x 2 (RAID 1)
- Purpose: QPKG Applications, Virtual PCs, etc.
- Thick-Provisioned
- 5% Snapshot Reserved (Adjustable Based on Need)
- Will Increase Volume Size from ~50% to Max (As Needed)

Storage Pool 2 - Volume 1 - SATA x 4 (RAID 5)
- Purpose: Data Storage (Multimedia & PC Backups)
- Thick-Provisioned
- 5% Snapshot Reserved (Will Adjust as Needed or Reduce if Unused)
- Will Increase Volume Size from ~70% Drive Size to Max (As Needed)

trex suggested that perhaps instead of using pool1 for for QTS, instead set that up as a static volume. You cannot use snapshots for the QTS cachedev1 vol1 raid1, but you have the best performance.

The storage pool used by the hdds x 4 raid5 however does have snapshots enabled for that.

so plan your setup, for what is best for you :)

The first vol/raid you setup, is where QTS will be installed. So if you want QTS to be on SSD like mine, set that up first. If you prefer it on the HDDS, then set that up first instead.

As for saving your qts settings and importing them over, i don't do that if they are different models. i do from scratch. i went old school and just took some screenshots and made some notes in notepad as to what settings to use. Maybe someone else knows about this :'

If you want to access the hidden stuff, i use winscp for that. You have to enable SSH and SFTP in qts, then login to winscp. You can then browse the hidden areas of the QNAP, then copy whatever you want :' (not that i did this myself).
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
jhalttu
New here

Post by jhalttu »

Thank you for responding.
I already have made 1 pool (21TB) RAID5 + SPARE. I also have EVO970 500GB as Cache.
I have updated all software and I will later today star learning backup. I have never use hybric backup software. but There seems to be lots of videos about it.

-So Make BAck of ALL contents on OLD NAS to NEW NAS.. I will have to make network share to do that, because OLD NAS is 90% full...=)
-then install backup on NEW NAS.

- Wipe OLD NAS
- Activate Rsync on NEW NAS to OLD NAS to back up all needed folders. I will actually back from two different NAS to OLD NAS, but only critical data.

There is also an option to just copy folders (its all windows shared folders) to NEW NAS.
BUT only challenge will be movin PLEX database. For that, I was thinking to SPLIT SSD to 250+250GB and put PLEX database to 250GB and CACHE 250GB..

This NEW NAS will be mostly for PLEX... (it has 1060 GPU also ready)

Return to “Backup & Restore”