Backup From FreeNAS to Qnap

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
yusuf.ceylan
First post

Backup From FreeNAS to Qnap

Post by yusuf.ceylan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi everybody,

How do I transfer my data from FreeNAS to QNAP? I can transfer from QNAP to FreeNAS with rsync, but I can't transfer from FreeNAS to Qnap.
Can you help me?

Thanks.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Re: Backup From FreeNAS to Qnap

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:05 pm

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/thr ... ide.54424/

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/thr ... nap.77273/

FreeNAS® supports two modes of rsync operation:

rsync module mode: exports a directory tree, and the configured settings of the tree as a symbolic name over an unencrypted connection. This mode requires that at least one module be defined on the rsync server. It can be defined in the FreeNAS® GUI under Services ‣ Rsync ‣ Rsync Modules. In other operating systems, the module is defined in rsyncd.conf(5).

rsync over SSH: synchronizes over an encrypted connection. Requires the configuration of SSH user and host public keys.
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation ... sync-tasks

Source (rsync client) > destination (rsync server).
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) single disks.
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228
[^] QNAP TS-128
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Win10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:41 am

yusuf.ceylan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:51 pm
How do I transfer my data from FreeNAS to QNAP?
In the Qnap Hybrid Backup Sync app you can do pull synchronizations over FTP or CIFS/SMB. Create a Synchronization job, select Active Sync and then Sync Remote to Local.

If you enable the Rsync server in the Qnap you should most likely be able to set up a Rsync job in the FreeNAS pushing data to the Qnap but how to do the latter is a question for a FreeNAS forum.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:21 am

For a PULL in HBS ... the source (Freenas) folders don't show. And doing a PUSH from the Freenas is a permissions (SSH) nightmare for the non-geek. If Qnap supported MODULES in Rsync ... it would be easy ...... but they don't. I've been at it trying for weeks. What directions I've found are incomplete as you don't know what directories they are talking about (or machines at times) issuing commands from ...... and commands that simply don't work.

I've foud a few that have "cracked the nut" but they talk in generalities as to their final solution and don't clearly say what they did ....

I guess it's the growing pains you go through when dealing with "REAL" (Freenas) products vs consumer grade ....
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:21 am

kherr4377 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:21 am
For a PULL in HBS ... the source (Freenas) folders don't show.
Pulling data from other CIFS/SMB servers work so I'm guessing it's a FreeNAS issue,
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

ingenetic
New here

Post by ingenetic » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi..
i have the same question too, how to backup freenas to qnap (TS-832X) ? how to rsync folders and file from freenas rsync to QNAP. ?

Thank you

Regards,

ingenetic
New here

Post by ingenetic » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:48 pm

i've got my rsync task freenas running to my qnap

QNAP site :
1. Setup share folder in our QNAP that you want to rsync from your freenas
for ex : Freenas
2. setup your rsync server on your QNAP from menu “ Backup Station “ like below :
make sure that username and password that you’re using, same as with username in freenas that you will going to rsync
Freenas site :
1. create account with username and password same as username password in QNAP ( look point 2 )
2. set this account full access to the dataset that you want to rsync
3. create new folder for store file for password that you will use for the username :
– touch /mnt/Data/passwordlocationstore/rsync.pwd
– just write only and only your password in that file ex : password
4. set the user account that you will use for rsync full access that folder “passwordlocationstore” .
5. create rsync task in freenas like below :

extra option is : where the password file located (point no.3)

6. End ( you can test run rsync to make sure it’s running )

Return to “Backup & Restore”