HBS 3 Hybrid Backup Sync 3.0.190829 (2019/08/29) Released

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
danielgarza
Starting out

Re: HBS 3 Hybrid Backup Sync 3.0.190829 (2019/08/29) Released

Post by danielgarza »

P3R wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:34 am
danielgarza wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:28 pm Can the rate limit be applied as well for the Storage space rather than for the job?
No. But you can rate limit the RTRR and Rsync servers so indirectly it's possible.
How can I do this sorry?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

danielgarza wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:02 am
P3R wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:34 am
danielgarza wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:28 pm Can the rate limit be applied as well for the Storage space rather than for the job?
No. But you can rate limit the RTRR and Rsync servers so indirectly it's possible.
How can I do this sorry?
HBS3_Srv_ratelimit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
danielgarza
Starting out

Post by danielgarza »

P3R wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 am HBS3_Srv_ratelimit.jpg
This is for nas to nas only right? But this will limit as well the transfer to my google drive account?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

danielgarza wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:08 am This is for nas to nas only right?
Yes.
But this will limit as well the transfer to my google drive account?
No.

As this is set on the server (normally the receiving end) it will only affect the clients connecting to that specific RTRR-server.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
emufan
Getting the hang of things

Post by emufan »

danielgarza wrote:Can the rate limit be applied as well for the Storage space rather than for the job? Or add that global option for the storage space account as well?
I'm looking for this option in version 3 as well, because it was there in version 2. Cannot believe, that qnap deleted this.

But with all the problems with firmware and hbs and... In the last week's and months, it is very likely, that they did. Users are not in their mind anymore.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

emufan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:11 pm I'm looking for this option in version 3 as well, because it was there in version 2.
I wasn't aware that it was possible in HBS 2 as I don't need to use rate limits but it's not the only feature they've taken away in HBS 3. Report it to Qnap as a bug.

Moaning here in the forum achives nothing, (many) customers opening support cases and complaining about features missing that they've used before can make a difference.

A workaround is to set the rate limit on jobs instead. A little more work but it offers greater granularity.

emufan
Getting the hang of things

Post by emufan »

P3R wrote:
emufan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:11 pm I'm looking for this option in version 3 as well, because it was there in version 2.
I wasn't aware that it was possible in HBS 2 as I don't need to use rate limits but it's not the only feature they've taken away in HBS 3. Report it to Qnap as a bug.

Moaning here in the forum achives nothing, (many) customers opening support cases and complaining about features missing that they've used before can make a difference.

A workaround is to set the rate limit on jobs instead. A little more work but it offers greater granularity.
Yes, granularity is good, but then they should implement a "take default" or special and set default as in version 2.

And opening support cases is - my experience with qnap support - useless. Had a lot of bug cases in the past, support cases,... In 0, zero the support was able to help. Esp. With hbs, they don't know the app at all. Told me such wrong things, you would not believe this.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Moaning here in the forum still achives nothing.

First line support won't fix missing features either but unless enough customers complain that way (frankly the only way possible unless you know anyone in the organization), Qnap won't even know anybody is upset about the things that are missing.

j-beda
Starting out

Post by j-beda »

Maybe I should start a new topic for my question, but this one is here....

Using HBS 3, I can go to "Storage Spaces" and create a "Remote Rsync Server" to our local onsite macOS server, and it reports "Success" when using "Test Connection" button (the "Speed Test" button gives a "Server error", but that is not my current issue.

However, when I go to "Backup & Restore" -> "Create Backup job", I select a QNAP folder, hit "Next" I am not presented with any of my "Storage Spaces" to select (oh! I found some of them within the specific items to be selected) and worse, there is no "Remote Rsync Server" item.

Have I missed it somewhere, or is there no ability to use HBS 3 to backup to a remote rsync server?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

j-beda wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:01 am ...is there no ability to use HBS 3 to backup to a remote rsync server?
No there isn't. You can do a Sync job to a Rsync server but not a Backup job.

Many times a Sync job can be considered a backup as well though. If it can be for you depend on your backup requirements.

Backup is supported over RTRR.
Sync is supported over RTRR, Rsync, FTP and CIFS/SMB.

Centaurus
Starting out

Post by Centaurus »

I'm going to start using this. for ~10GB documents backup.
What free cloud service would you recommend? Thank you.
Centaurus
Starting out

Post by Centaurus »

@P3R
(After reading your signature)
I thought on working with 2 disks on a non-RAID setup with daily backups from one to another (is enough for me) and for an separate media. People said I was crazy - that I should go for RAID1 with that 2 disks - and I did that.
What's your opinion?
itsmarcos
Easy as a breeze

Post by itsmarcos »

Centaurus wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 pm @P3R
(After reading your signature)
I thought on working with 2 disks on a non-RAID setup with daily backups from one to another (is enough for me) and for an separate media. People said I was crazy - that I should go for RAID1 with that 2 disks - and I did that.
What's your opinion?
Your backup is the copy on separate media, not your RAID1 setup.

RAID offers uptime and resiliency of your NAS in case of a disk failure. I don't use RAID at home but I do replicate data between multiple disks/NASes. If a disk fails I will have to spend time rebuilding a disk or a NAS box (if a system disk fails). I can sleep well at nights with this, others don't.

Primary

QNAP TVS-951N [latest QTS 5.0.x]
- disk 1: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 2: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 6: Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, SSD Cache
- disk 7:Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, HybridMount Cache
- External disk: WDC Red WD60EFRX
Dead one
QNAP TS-253B [4.4.x] - now dead

Remote backup
QNAP TS-219 P+ [latest 4.3.x]
- disk 1: HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640 3TB
- disk 2: WDC Red WD40EFRX
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Centaurus wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 pm What's your opinion?
Doing internal backups is crazy!

To begin with, if the first disk in the NAS fail many users will not be able to easily retrieve data from an internal backup disk.

Having internal backup disks is a waste of hardware that can be more effectively used elsewhere. Such disks are much better used either as an (additional) USB-connected external backup disk or for RAID 1 (but only if external backups are already adequate, not instead of backups). RAID 1 (and higher RAID levels) improves system reliability and make the life much easier for the administrator by simple storage expansion and less complete system rebuilds but it doesn't really protect your data.

Centaurus
Starting out

Post by Centaurus »

Thank you for the answers.
I'm going to start using HBS 3 for ~10GB documents backup.
What free cloud service would you recommend?

Return to “Backup & Restore”