internal copy speed

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
ruzickav
Starting out

internal copy speed

Post by ruzickav » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Hello everyone,
I am using TS-431P for a copy of large folder (with a lot of small files) to another folder. I am talking about copy from one folder to another on the SAME QNAP unit. Not over the network. On TS-431P it takes about 2 days (very small CPU usage, and very small storage usage during copy task).... So I am thinking about some faster unit. TS-431X2-2G for example, but I am not sure if it helps for local copy speed.
Does anyone know if the new unit would be faster for that task?

Best regards

Trexx
Experience counts

Re: internal copy speed

Post by Trexx » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:19 am

hard to say... if you want fastest performance (and you have GOOD backups), do a MOVE via File Station instead of a copy. Your likely cause of most of the speed is due to limited # of unknown brand HDD's that you are basically thrashing moving reading/writing data blocks back and forth on.

IF you have Raid-5 configured, speed might improve with a newer NAS IF the CPU in it supports the parity calculations in CPU HW vs. dealing with it via SW. But even then your bigger cause is basically HDD trashing.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.1.x
QTier (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar NAS QTier (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
(SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB Evo 860
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060, ACX 2.0(1 Fan), 6GB
UPS: CyberPower AVR1350 Ext. Backup: USB 3.0 Seagate 5TB
Media Boxes: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro, AppleTV 4k, Various Roku's

Model: TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.4.1.x Test/Backup Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS RAID Rebuild Times | Live QTS Videos | | QNAP NAS Guide | Information needed when you ask for HELP | QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc.
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Backup & Restore”