HS3 "Failed to upload metadata"

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
P3R
Guru

Re: HS3 "Failed to upload metadata"

Post by P3R »

onecolumbyte wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 pm Also, this is a terrible error handling message...
I agree. What did Qnap support tell you that the message really meant?
I still get the error Failed to Upload Metadata Check your network settings.
Are you doing any filtering on outgoing traffic from the Qnap?

Also what Qnap model running what QTS version and what HBS version?

What data is it? Type and amount of data, small/large files? Is there any difference with different folders (if you're doing multiple)?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
onecolumbyte
Starting out

Post by onecolumbyte »

I have a support ticket out to qnap, nothing yet.

The error is reported in HSB3 and shows in the log. I don't have additional detail... I suppose I will have to try again with debug loggin enabled to see if more detail is available.

Does anybody know how to adjust wait time as mentioned by Client 2020?
nickexists
New here

Post by nickexists »

I've had a support ticket for this open for months with nothing useful coming out of it. In my case I am trying to backup to Box. The issue doesn't seem to occur until the backup I'm trying to create gets sufficiently large. Once it gets to a certain size I'll get this error every time I try to start the backup within an hour.

If I download the debug log from HBS I see this errorin `backupengine-error.log`:

requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 409 Client Error: Conflict for url:

[2021-02-21 23:27:27,703][ Thread-2][E][qnap.hbs3.library.qts.ssd_detect][tool_func.py:logger_error:91] : ['Traceback (most recent call last):\n', ' File "/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/CC3_PY3_QPKG/workspace/ARCH/x86_64/master/master/qpkg/output/shared/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/qnap/hbs3/library/qts/ssd_detect.py", line 142, in get_disk_type_by_poolID\n', 'Exception\n']
[2021-02-23 23:08:20,790][ Thread-2][E][qnap.hbs3.library.qts.ssd_detect][tool_func.py:logger_error:91] : ['Traceback (most recent call last):\n', ' File "/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/CC3_PY3_QPKG/workspace/ARCH/x86_64/master/master/qpkg/output/shared/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/qnap/hbs3/library/qts/ssd_detect.py", line 142, in get_disk_type_by_poolID\n', 'Exception\n']
[2021-03-03 21:41:07,763][ BakWorker][E][qnap.cloudconnector3.common.executor][executor.py:__call__:284] : Subtask error: TransferTask<{'_state': 'ERROR', '_exc_info': (<class 'ucc.exception.ConflictError'>, ConflictError(<Response [409]>), <traceback object at 0x7fdb740d9d48>), '_cancel': <threading.Event object at 0x7fdb540e6198>, '_on_finish': None, '_on_error': None, 'src_cc': <ucc.local.LocalClient object at 0x7fdb8864b2e8>, 'src_key': '0000000_0000000000117202.qsv', 'dst_cc': <qswiss.observer.MethodCallObservable object at 0x7fdb88652320>, 'dst_key': 'dedup/vault/0000000_0000000000117/0000000_0000000000117202.qsv', 'src_record': <class 'qnap.cloudconnector3.backup.replication.worker.Record'>, 'dst_record': None, 'data': <_io.BytesIO object at 0x7fdb303bda40>, 'preprocessors': [], 'operation': 'UPLOAD', 'total_size': 8388664, 'transferred_size': 0, 'src_transferred_size': 0, 'dst_transferred_size': 0, 'name': '0000000_0000000000117202.qsv', 'start_time': 1614829191.5476763, 'check_time': 0, 'storage_class': None, 'tagging': None, 'on_progress': None, 'client_mtime': None}>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/CC3_PY3_QPKG/workspace/ARCH/x86_64/master/master/qpkg/output/shared/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ucc/common.py", line 94, in outter_func
File "/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/CC3_PY3_QPKG/workspace/ARCH/x86_64/master/master/qpkg/output/shared/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ucc/box.py", line 644, in create_file
File "/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/CC3_PY3_QPKG/workspace/ARCH/x86_64/master/master/qpkg/output/shared/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ucc/box.py", line 825, in _create_or_overwrite_file
File "/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/CC3_PY3_QPKG/workspace/ARCH/x86_64/master/master/qpkg/output/shared/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ucc/chunk_uploader.py", line 83, in upload
File "/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/CC3_PY3_QPKG/workspace/ARCH/x86_64/master/master/qpkg/output/shared/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ucc/box.py", line 717, in _normal_upload
File "/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/CC3_PY3_QPKG/workspace/ARCH/x86_64/master/master/qpkg/output/shared/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ucc/box.py", line 190, in _upload_file
File "/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HybridBackup/CloudConnector3/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/models.py", line 937, in raise_for_status
raise HTTPError(http_error_msg, response=self)
requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 409 Client Error: Conflict for url: https://upload.box.com/api/2.0/files/content
schferenc
Starting out

Post by schferenc »

Hi,

I've just had the same issue with Google Cloud Storage backup jobs, but found another topic, which helped me:
viewtopic.php?t=140823

Briefly, you need to create ONE WAY Sync job instead of backup job. Now it works for me.
--------------------------------------------------
NAS: QNAP TS 239 Pro (fw: 4.1.0)
ian.addison
New here

Post by ian.addison »

See my warning in that thread. A one-way sync is not the same as a backup.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ian.addison wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:10 am See my warning in that thread. A one-way sync is not the same as a backup.
That's correct and to hopefully clarify, the most important difference between a one-way-sync and a backup in HBS3 is that with the backup it's possible to enable versions if you have enough storage capacity available on your backup destination. With a versioned backup you have the possibility to "go back in time" and select different backup versions (similar to snapshots) from different points in time. That's typically critical if you have been hit by a ransomware and you haven't disabled your automatically scheduled one-way-sync or single-instance backup before it run, as that will overwrite your still unharmed backup copy with the ransomware encrypted data files.

The by far best protection against the consequences of ransomware though is to not directly expose the NAS on the Internet.

A NAS that isn't directly available from a public network have a very low risk of intrusions and ransomware compared to exposed systems.

If remote access is necessary, then use a remote access VPN connetion to protect it.

A versioned backup is very valuable for many threats, not only ransomware, so it's very much recommended if you have the storage capacity available.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
manwecke
Starting out

Post by manwecke »

Same problem since app. one week.

Fixed the issue with reduction of "Concurrent file processing limit = 1 rule
See attached screen shot.

With this parameter backups with app. 70GB run sucessfull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAStrovia
Starting out

Post by NAStrovia »

I have had the "Failed to upload metadata" OneDrive backup problem since QTS 5.0 rolled out under two different HBS3 versions (currently running 18.0.1125).

I submitted a ticket to QNAP support and heard back today that the problem will be solved in upcoming HBS3 version 18.0.1206.

In the meantime, I just tried the solution proposed by manwecke above (reduced "Concurrent file processing limit" from the default of 5 to 1) and it also worked for me. Thanks!
grifos
New here

Post by grifos »

Hi,
Just to up give a small updated, issue still occuring with HBS 19.0.0303, trying to backup on Icedrive with webdav.
grifos
New here

Post by grifos »

I opened a ticket with the support.
The official reply they gave me was: The HBS supports the WebDAV protocol, providing compatibility with solutions including WebDAV server (QNAP NAS), SME CloudDAV, DriveHQ, myDrive, OpenDrive, and pCloud

So hbs support'ish Webdav

Return to “Backup & Restore”