Time Machine sparsebundles no longer listed

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
HiZHiZ
New here

Time Machine sparsebundles no longer listed

Post by HiZHiZ »

Hi,

for some reason the GUI on my TS219 device is no longer listing the sparsebundles. The Time Machine backups are there (600GB) and can be mounted OK so Im confident they're OK, its just they are missing from the Manage Backup tab.

Im running latest software which was installed a few days ago. 4.3.3.1098

Is there a simple way to re-populate the list without destroying the backups?

Thanks
ldir-EDB0
Getting the hang of things

Re: Time Machine sparsebundles no longer listed

Post by ldir-EDB0 »

At some point in time, I think with Catalina, Apple changed the file/directory name to 'machinename.backupbundle'. My guess is that the GUI isn't aware of the change.
dcaranci
New here

Post by dcaranci »

Idir-EDB0 is correct.

Apple decided that Catalina-produced Time Machine backups will use the .backupbundle extension, and for whatever reason the QNAP software doesn't recognize it.

As a test to prove it, first turn off the Time Machine on your Mac, just to prevent it from running when you do this.
Then use the File Station on the NAS and temporarily rename the backup file to have the .sparcebundle extension.
Once you do this then you will see that it shows up in the Manage Backup list.
After you test it, remember to rename the file back to the .backupbundle extension or Catalina will not recognize it at its next backup task (and create a new backup from scratch).
Then you can turn back on the Time Machine on your Mac.

Hopefully QNAP will fix this in an update to their software soon as it is quite annoying.
I'm running the current version of their software (4.3.3.1161) on my TS-212P and this issue is present.

Cheers...
DoC
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

did you open a ticket with qnap ?

if not do so to speed up a fix ..even more so as your 212p is pretty much eol
metude
First post

Post by metude »

I have the same problem - no Backups shown in the GUI. I am NOT yet on Catalina.
I cannot see the TimeMachine Share in Filestation (it lists only Shared Folders).
I can see the backups if I ssh into the NAS but I cannot use hdiutil to do something with them.
I can see the TimeMachine share on my Mac but I cannot open it (not found error). I am logged in with the TimeMachine user.
Any other idea on how to access my backups? I need to clean them up.
oblobl
First post

Post by oblobl »

Yes, the same problem when upgrading to Catalina. Apple changed the name of the TimeMachine archives from <host>.sparsebundle to <host>.backupbundle for reasons beyond my horizon. QNAP Backup Station does not find these files any longer, although the backupbundles are there and TimeMachine works on these new files.

Opened a ticket to Apple, no reply yet.

Opened a ticket QNAP, got reply telling me something about hardware replacement policies .. great !

Ok, somewhere maybe in /etc/ on shell basis or whatoever, there should be a configuration file, which is used by the Backup Station. Anybody knows where ? Is QNAP attending this forum ? They should immediately know.

If I get a configuration hint from Apple, I will tell you.

Cheers, Oliver
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP does not come here.

QNAP will also not release any more updates for x19 units. So SOL.
binoix
New here

Post by binoix »

Hello,

In addition, it seems to me that the Catalina .backupbundle backups are not affected by the TimeMachine quota, so that my Catalina backup is progressively using all the space on my QNAP NAS!
Are you seeing this also? Or any idea how to enforce the quota?

Thanks
gleep52
Starting out

Post by gleep52 »

Same questions here - I cannot even delete my backup and start over. It tells me the file is locked when it's not. I'm logged in as the TimeMachine user too - so how do I delete old unwanted backups? I renamed it to .sparcebundle and the qnap still does not populate it in the web interface... how do I clean this crap up? It's eating up 8TB of my NAS. :(
ronday
First post

Post by ronday »

gleep52 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:29 am Same questions here - I cannot even delete my backup and start over. It tells me the file is locked when it's not. I'm logged in as the TimeMachine user too - so how do I delete old unwanted backups? I renamed it to .sparcebundle and the qnap still does not populate it in the web interface... how do I clean this ** up? It's eating up 8TB of my NAS. :(
sparcebundle is a typo, use .sparsebundle and you wil be able to see them

Return to “Backup & Restore”