Getting the hang of things

Turn Snapshot off

Post by mccormw » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:45 pm

Can I turn Snapshots off?

P3R
Guru

Re: Turn Snapshot off

Post by P3R » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:14 am

Yes. You do it in Storage & Snapshots, Snapshot Backup, Snapshot Replica.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

mccormw
Getting the hang of things

Post by mccormw » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:20 am

AAhh, I think I may have eady turned it off - not sure how. But the screen you directed me to show two volumes but none protected.
The thing I didn't like about snapshots was that it pput the '@snapshot' directory in public and this fowled up my second level of backup.

Thanks!

rohanh
New here

Post by rohanh » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Why can there not just be a single button on the control panel and general settings and NAS setup wizard to completely turn off Snapshots. All the snapshot manager controls are focused on how to set it up. At the very beginning there should be the option to turn it completely off

I have been testing a new TS-473 with various back up processes to identify the quickest and best settings and as I deleted each test the QNAP big brother secretly saved them as a snap shot until it filled my entire storage volume. No easy way I could find to recover that space as when I found the snapshot folder and deleted them it still kept the space it had claimed reserved for snapshots. So restarting NAS from scratch factory defaults. Probably a way to not have to do that, but quicker than trying to interpret at the convoluted menus in a new NAS I am testing

I suppose QNAP call Snapshots a "feature", I call them a "F***ing Bug".

cheers
Rohan

Return to “Backup & Restore”