Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
foz111
Getting the hang of things

4TB HDD SMART Error

Post by foz111 »

Qnap TS253 pro NAS
FW: 4.4.1.1117
1 x 4TB WD Red HDD

As of this morning i got a SMART error message: "One or more disk S.M.A.R.T normalised attributes are below the manufactures threshold, please consider replacing the disk".

i ran disk heath check and found no bad sectors found.
i have ordered a new one as this hold family photos etc etc that can't be replaced.
It will arrive tomorrow.
question because this has never been configured without any raid (as currently only 1 drive fitted) what is my best options?

would you recommend simply copying data over to new drive or fit it and set up as a raid with it having no bad sectors?
i have very little experience with this NAS its only really ever been used for file storage and CCTV capture of camera's it just runs never needed to really mess with it.
Thanks in advance for any input and advise you give to me, and possibly any instruction or links to tutorials you provide.
TS-253D
QTS 5.0.1.2376 Firmware
P3R
Guru

Re: 4TB HDD SMART Error

Post by P3R »

foz111 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:03 pm As of this morning i got a SMART error message: "One or more disk S.M.A.R.T normalised attributes are below the manufactures threshold, please consider replacing the disk".
A very important thing to know is what S.M.A.R.T. attribute QTS is referring to so check that (Storage & Snapshots, Storage, Disks/VJBOD, Disk Health, SMART Information).
i have ordered a new one as this hold family photos etc etc that can't be replaced.
It was to avoid this situation that dolbyman advised you to do external backups and RAID 1 back in 2016. :wink:
question because this has never been configured without any raid (as currently only 1 drive fitted) what is my best options?
Your first priority should be to make sure that you get an external backup of your data as quickly as possible.

When you have the backup, you can start to worry about when and how to replace the current disk.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
foz111

Post by foz111 »

Thanks for your reply
The Disk SMART Info just says warning.
Rapid test shows no errors.
The new Seagate IronWolf 4TB NAS HDD will arrive tomorrow hence the reason for asking what is the best way to go about this now.
cheers
TS-253D
QTS 5.0.1.2376 Firmware
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

there is no procedure to swap single disks without data loss

run to a nearby store as fast as you can and buy a usb drive ..then do a backup of your data (1st priority)

if the other bay is still free, try to convert your single disk setup to raid1 ..then you have 1 disk redundancy and you can swap disks in place
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

foz111 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 pm The Disk SMART Info just says warning.
Yes, that's why I gave you the path to where you can find the complete data, to find out which SMART ID the warning was about. If you need help to interpret the SMART data, please post it here.

But first make sure your data is safe on a healthy external disk or another system.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

foz111 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 pmThe Disk SMART Info just says warning. Rapid test shows no errors.
Do not rely on test by QNAP.
Connect your HDD to Windows if possible (if not internally to eSata bus pls use reliable external disk enclosure or dock, not cheap Chinese cable adopter), then zero it (you loose all of your data on this HDD) with Windows command prompt "diskpart" -> "list disk" -> "select disk n" -> "clean all" commands. With USB 3.0/eSata II that takes about 2+h/GB (and nothing happens on command prompt screen besides blinking cursor, but there is disk activity visible in Task Manager). This replaces doubtful sectors and also zeroes SMART "Pending sectors" value.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ja666 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:20 pm Do not rely on test by QNAP.
SMART testing both the rapid (short) and Complete (long) test are done by the disk itself so in what system the test is initiated and the result is presented doesn't matter.

It's the same with the SMART data (that foz111 never posted here). Those statistics are created by the disk logic and stored on the disk itself.
Connect your HDD to Windows if possible (if not internally to eSata bus pls use reliable external disk enclosure or dock, not cheap Chinese cable adopter), then zero it (you loose all of your data on this HDD) with Windows command prompt "diskpart" -> "list disk" -> "select disk n" -> "clean all" commands. With USB 3.0/eSata II that takes about 2+h/GB (and nothing happens on command prompt screen besides blinking cursor, but there is disk activity visible in Task Manager). This replaces doubtful sectors and also zeroes SMART "Pending sectors" value.
Yes it will IF the sector really is bad and the disk have spare sectors left and it's a sector that can be reallocated.

The key is that the only way to find out what the problem with the pending sector is and if possible correct (technically replacement of a pending sector to a spare sector doesn't correct the fault, it just work around it) the pending sectors is to write to the pending sectors. If it's unknown what exact sector is pending is unknown, then the brute force way is to write to every sector on the disk. Following your instructions and do that in a Windows system as you suggest is one way of doing it and it's probably a good way for Windows users.

It's possible to do the same in other operating systems as well and it's even possible within the NAS but that's for inexperienced users often more complicated so removing the disk and do it in another computer is usually the easiest.

Also it's important to know that not all disk errors can be "fixed" by your method. If the faulty sector can't be remapped (some sectors can't) or if the disk have run out of spare sectors the RAW value of Uncorrectable_Sector_Count (depending on the disk vendor it may be called something different but it's SMART id# 198) will become 1 or higher, which mean that the disk is broken and should immediately be replaced and not be put back in to the NAS.

foz111

Post by foz111 »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 pm there is no procedure to swap single disks without data loss

run to a nearby store as fast as you can and buy a usb drive ..then do a backup of your data (1st priority)

if the other bay is still free, try to convert your single disk setup to raid1 ..then you have 1 disk redundancy and you can swap disks in place
Sorry for late reply..
How is this done?
backed up everything i needed now.
placed new 4tb in bay 2, opened storage & snap shots
i now see the two disks - no1 (orange) and no2 green. (Orange because of warning)
i've selected storage/snapshots from storage menu on left, i see DataVol1 (System)
i've selected manage tab, then selected Migrate RAID Group, gives me the option to select disk 2
under the box it says Raid Type Single-> RAID 1 Estimated capacity 3.63TB
is the correct before i select apply please?
Many thanks

P.S. Smart warning on disk 1 is 197 Current_Pending_Sector value:200 worse:200 thre:000 raw:2 status warning
TS-253D
QTS 5.0.1.2376 Firmware
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

seems correct , go ahead
foz111

Post by foz111 »

Thank you for confirming that, all seems to have gone well left it rebuilding over night.
I've just ordered another hdd to replace the failing disk 1,
now it is in raid 1 can i simply swap disc 1 out? Or what would the procedure to copying disk 2 please?
thank you again for your time replying and helping me
TS-253D
QTS 5.0.1.2376 Firmware
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if they are in raid1 now, you can just swap the other drive out (hot)

nothing more needed
foz111

Post by foz111 »

super thank you
TS-253D
QTS 5.0.1.2376 Firmware
foz111

Post by foz111 »

Just rebooted NAS and noticed a background activity saying rebuilding ?
i've attached a screen shot.
New hdd should be here next couple days to replace faulty SMART hdd so i was hoping to swap this disc 1 out as soon as it arrives.
Is this rebuild normal after reboot ? it had said it was rebuilt previously?
Its saying 10hrs ?
thanks again for any information you can provide
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-253D
QTS 5.0.1.2376 Firmware
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no that is not normal..but you have a degraded drive..if possible keep reboots to a minimum
foz111

Post by foz111 »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:52 pm no that is not normal..but you have a degraded drive..if possible keep reboots to a minimum
New HDD arrived sadly not gone to plan
hot swapped disk 1 for new 4TB Seagate red ( replaced the failing disk )
now unfortunately showing as (unmounted degraded)
when i select rebuild raid group no disk is showing pictures attached
any help appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-253D
QTS 5.0.1.2376 Firmware

Return to “Backup & Restore”