HBS 3 backup: exclude sub-folder

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
ruman
New here

HBS 3 backup: exclude sub-folder

Post by ruman »

Hello,
I have a TS-251B.
I'm trying to exclude a sub-folder from a backup in HBS 3 but did not find the way.
Has anyone a clue how to do that?
Thanks
damdim
New here

Re: HBS 3 backup: exclude sub-folder

Post by damdim »

In the job Rules --> Apply Filters --> Settings --> Excluded file types --> Other.
In this textbox type the name of the folder you want to exclude like this:
/testfolder
It's best if your folder name doesn't contain spaces, else I think you have to type it with escape characters.
f.e if your folder name is "test folder", you should write it as:
/test\ folder
bibi5
New here

Post by bibi5 »

Hello, i user HBS3 V15.1.0225 and exclude folders are not working.
I tried it with the full pathname and only the last foldername but HBS3 sync this folder
BradJJ
New here

Post by BradJJ »

I've tried it every way possible and it doesn't work.
I can't even exclude a specific file under a folder
e.g.
/logs/event.txt
It seems you can literally only exclude file names with wildcards and then these files will be excluded regardless of the folder.

Makes this useless for a sync I want to do where I want to exclude certain subfolders when 1-way syncing to OneDrive (as a backup) to get the size down from 50GB to 7GB.

Hope I'm wrong and someone has found a way to do this. Or has an alterntaive I can setup on the NAS.
BradJJ
New here

Post by BradJJ »

My objective was to have a readable backup (i.e. files copied to OneDrive intact, not in some proprietary backup storage format) on OneDrive.
Backup instead of Sync with QuDeDup off might give me what I want.
I'm going to try it.
BradJJ
New here

Post by BradJJ »

Well thats disappointing.

So backup is good because I can select and deselect subfolders but it doesn't allow you to backup the files in the parent folder if you only select some of its subfolders.

Who wrote this software!! :roll:
scribit
New here

Post by scribit »

Follow. I'm interested too.
georgi69
New here

Post by georgi69 »

Same pain here. I am doing a backup of /homes/ folder to an off-site NAS and need to exclude specific users homes.
My "solution" so far is to split is to 1 job per folders BUT as you mentioned then you do not backup content of the main folder (which is not an issue in my case but still **).

I wonder whether we are all really just that lame that and just could not figure out the proper notation. For reference - QNAP official guidance on skipping recycle folder:
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... s3-backups
SamChameleon
New here

Post by SamChameleon »

I have the same or similar problem. I am trying a backup of my pictures to a second and smaller NAS. My master contains ALL photos in folders aka albums. In the album-folders I save the RAW-files in a dedicated subfolder _raw, too. But for space reasons I need to skip these subfolder _raw. I could not figure out how to do it. Putting the "_raw" into the "other" filter does not work for me, too.

Return to “Backup & Restore”