HBS3 Backup is slow

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Nugent
Starting out

Re: HBS3 Backup is slow

Post by Nugent »

Not sure if related, but i have the same issue syncing from qnap to dropbox... the process is reallly slow with HBS 3. I tried another application outside of HBS and it is much quicker at the job. I had a post on here, but didnt' get any replies. In my case, i was syncing a mail folder called PICTURES on my nas to PICTURES on my dropbox account. underneath PICTURES was 70+ GB of data. When i selected PICTURES the main head folder, it fails, slow..etc but when i go in and select all the subfolders individually and sync them one at a time, its much quicker ??? why ? maybe related. The 'other' outside application works fine, just HBS is slow.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

thilan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 pm while the backup runs
users add files to the volume also
as this allows in a live photo-sharing system
You still haven't answered my question. If you schedule the job to start at something like 00:20 and being finished at around 06:20 (or whatever times you have the least user activity on the server) why is the 6 hour backup a big problem for you?

It's not a disaster if you have user activity during the backup also but it's clever to schedule the backup at the least busy hours.

Also is your Exclude duplicate files option ticked or not in the backup job?
HBS3 Backup Or sync ?
Backup (RTRR) is usually best for backups.
if i used a sync will the active sync help me to lower the time ?
Active sync is different from what I think you think it is. Active sync is a pull sync from the remote system to your system.

You probably think of a Real-time synchronization (a constantly running near real-time synchronization) but that's in my opinion not good to use as a backup. Also if your worried about a 6 hour execution I don't understand how it would be better with having a job running 24*7...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Zombie
Getting the hang of things

Post by Zombie »

HBS3 is an embarrasing program, 170 GB takes 90 days to upload to Google Drive, the processing speed is a blistering 25 kB/s and the transfer speed like lightning, 139 B/s.
I use Cloud Drive Sync and it reaches 10 MB/s.
HBS3 makes a sync from the NAS to an USB disk with over 45 MB/s.
Not much more to do than to delete it. Very disappointing.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Zombie wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:35 am HBS3 is an embarrasing program, 170 GB takes 90 days to upload to Google Drive, the processing speed is a blistering 25 kB/s and the transfer speed like lightning, 139 B/s.
Sounds like it could be a bug. What did Qnap support say about it?
Is that so bad that it makes you delete it?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
webdk4life
New here

Post by webdk4life »

Zombie wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:35 am HBS3 is an embarrasing program, 170 GB takes 90 days to upload to Google Drive, the processing speed is a blistering 25 kB/s and the transfer speed like lightning, 139 B/s.
I use Cloud Drive Sync and it reaches 10 MB/s.
Not much more to do than to delete it. Very disappointing.
Did you ever get a reply on why its happening.. started happening to me as well - after a year of no issues - uploading under 1kb speeds...

Return to “Backup & Restore”