(Solved) Backup solution for 1 USB docking station and multiple HDD's?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
JoBrCoGB
Getting the hang of things

(Solved) Backup solution for 1 USB docking station and multiple HDD's?

Post by JoBrCoGB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Hello everyone,

In the days of old (90's) there were backup utilities that would span several backup disks. When disk1 was full it would simply suspend backing up, ask for disk2, etc, then continue backing up. This was great because as your need for backup grew, so your need for additional disks would too, incrementally.

Personally I would think that this approach should be included in the most basic of backup software, as it did come first, all those years ago, addressing certain needs. Some people just don't have the money to go out and buy two systems of the size requirements they assume they'll need, which calls into question, "What if more space is required in hindsight?

Do any of you know of any solution, preferably free or of low cost.

P.S. If it can be done with Hybrid Backup Sync v2.1.190220 or higher, please point me to the explanation of how it's done.

TIA!
Last edited by JoBrCoGB on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS: TS-563 RAM: 2GB
QTS: v4.4.1.1216 build 200214
HD's: (so far) 6TB x3; RAID5
BU: Mint18.3 Xfce SMB Server (8TB x4; RAID5); 64bit
WS: Dual boot Win7 SP1/Mint18.3 Cinnamon; 64bit
STV: TCL 55P605; Sony XBR-65X900E

-----------------------------------------------
The relativity of our experiences, so the differences between us.
'I only know that I know nothing.' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods!

P3R
Guru

Re: Backup solution for 1 USB docking station and multiple HDD's?

Post by P3R » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:25 pm

JoBrCoGB wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:29 pm
Do any of you know of any solution, preferably free or of low cost.

P.S. If it can be done with Hybrid Backup Sync v2.1.190220 or higher, please point me to the explanation of how it's done.
No HBS doesn't support spanning disks as a backup destination.

Since HBS backup shared folders you can with a little planning have your data naturally divided into chunks small enough for you backup disks. You label the disks accordingly and write the labeled name physically on each disk so that you can easily know which disk hold what shared folders. Then you create a backup job for each backup disk and select Auto-backup as the Schedule. Now the correct backup job will start as soon as you attach each disk.

The cost for the above is only a change of perspective plus some of your time and effort so it should qualify for your "free" request. :wink:

As I'm using HBS version 3, the concept is verified in HBS 3. It may work in older versions as well but I don't know that. Why do you run the old HBS version 2.1.190220?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

JoBrCoGB
Getting the hang of things

Re: Backup solution for 1 USB docking station and multiple HDD's?

Post by JoBrCoGB » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:54 am

Thanks for your time, which is always appreciated.

Sorry it's been so long, but I decided to put an old MB to use and build my own backup linux system. But your solution sounds great, if I'd thought of it before initial NAS setup, and requirements permitted.

I apologize for leaving you hanging, but unfortunately at my age and health, 'halfheimers' is creeping in, or maybe 'twothirdsheimers' it's hard to be sure upon ground not yet travelled, and a flawed memory of what 'might' have been the case, as if I could logically accurately compare the two with absolute certainty. But I digress...

Again, thanks!
NAS: TS-563 RAM: 2GB
QTS: v4.4.1.1216 build 200214
HD's: (so far) 6TB x3; RAID5
BU: Mint18.3 Xfce SMB Server (8TB x4; RAID5); 64bit
WS: Dual boot Win7 SP1/Mint18.3 Cinnamon; 64bit
STV: TCL 55P605; Sony XBR-65X900E

-----------------------------------------------
The relativity of our experiences, so the differences between us.
'I only know that I know nothing.' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods!

Return to “Backup & Restore”