External USB drive no longer recognised

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Desmac
Starting out

Re: External USB drive no longer recognised

Post by Desmac »

Since my post above on 16 May 2020 my TS251D NAS has been using 4.4.1.1216 firmware with the issues mentioned, but with external USB drived (for back-uo) being recognised.
I recently upgraded the firmware to 4.4.3.1354 to keep security etc matters up-to date, and to get rid of the reminders to upgrade.
Lo & behold, back-up to USB drives no longer successful.
Might I gather that this has not yet been remedied, and that another firmware downgrade to 4.4.1.1216 is required? Or am I doing something wrong?
Meantime, I will downgrade to try to get my backups running again.
If backups still fail I'll have to look at another solution.
anthonyo60
New here

Post by anthonyo60 »

Hello
Did you find a solution to this problem of external drive disk.
I have a ts-251 and the same problem on all usb port.
When i plug it, i have no blue light on front NAS.
And when i click the front copy button, the blue led just blink 1s
aechevarria73
First post

Post by aechevarria73 »

Frontier wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:21 pm I also had this problem, not being able to perform anymore backups on external disks mounted on my TS-451+.
Opened support ticket with QNAP, activated remote support session, after 3 days they still could not found the problem (I've already downgraded to 4.4.1.1216 as suggested by QNAP support, because 4.4.2.1262 has many bugs).
Downgrading did not solve the problem. Removed and re-installed the HBS 3 application, still did not fix the problem.

Then I noticed that I could no longer access the USBDisk1 folder from my Windows 10 machine (Network), nor via Samba from Arch Linux; I did not had access to the folder.
I am using another user to connect to NAS (not the built-in admin) with full admin rights. And this user now (which is an administrator in reality) could not access the USBDisk1 folder.
This made me believe that from some firmware upgrade and after, the firmware messed up with the access rights to external disks (after all these are folders mounted under the QNAP Linux system) and this was the reason HBS3 failed.

The solution was to log-on to the system with 'admin' user and set full R/W rights to the USBDisk1 folder (you can do it in settings after logging in as 'admin').
After that, HBS3 could access the USBDisk1 folder and now external USB backup works again.

Closed the ticket on QNAP support and informed them for the solution, so that they could help others.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This was the fix for me on my TS-451+. As soon as I logged in as Admin I could see my drive again, fixed permissions and now my backup is working!
tim@idea-tech.com
Starting out

Post by tim@idea-tech.com »

This is a very old problem that QNAP does not have a solution for. We have had both an older TS-469 Pro and now a TS-453D that both randomly hang the USB ports (~1 in every 3 to 10 tries) going back to pre-4.0 QTS. It takes a system reboot to get the USB interface working again but it takes a very long time (any where between 20 min and never) to shut down the system. WebGUI gets very slow and unresponsive. We have an APC UPS also connected to the a USB port and it disappears when this happens.

I had a remote debug session with Qnap a few years back on the TS-469 Pro and he could not narrow it down. He looked through system dumps and logs and we could see the drive being attached, go through the mount process, recognized as EXT4 file system and then nothing. No warnings, errors, nothing. So Qnap has know about this issue for a considerable time and never got back to us with a fix. It has never been resolved as far as I know.
TS-453D, 4x WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 (2TB), Raid6, 4.5.4.1723
dhighway
Starting out

Post by dhighway »

aechevarria73 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:13 pm
Frontier wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:21 pm The solution was to log-on to the system with 'admin' user and set full R/W rights to the USBDisk1 folder (you can do it in settings after logging in as 'admin').
After that, HBS3 could access the USBDisk1 folder and now external USB backup works again.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This was the fix for me on my TS-451+. As soon as I logged in as Admin I could see my drive again, fixed permissions and now my backup is working!
I'm having the same problem on my TS-431P after upgrading to QTS 5.x (trying to keep my NAS secure!) ... opened a support ticket, they connected to my NAS but was of absolutely NO help. I've now downgraded back to QTS 4.5.4 but still no luck.

Could you (or anyone) PLEASE tell me how to do this? I see all my disk volumes but don't see any shared folder named USBDisk1. If it isn't a shared folder, not sure where/how to find it and change its permissions ... at least not logged in via the web interface.

Do you mean I need to login via SSH? If so, I'd really appreciate more detailed instructions on how to accomplish this!

Many thanks in advance!
DH
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

when you are logged in as admin please take a screenshot of your file station and post it here

btw..best way to keep your NAS secure is to NOT expose it to WAN
Frontier
Starting out

Post by Frontier »

dhighway wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:07 pm
aechevarria73 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:13 pm
Frontier wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:21 pm The solution was to log-on to the system with 'admin' user and set full R/W rights to the USBDisk1 folder (you can do it in settings after logging in as 'admin').
I'm having the same problem on my TS-431P after upgrading to QTS 5.x (trying to keep my NAS secure!) ... opened a support ticket, they connected to my NAS but was of absolutely NO help. I've now downgraded back to QTS 4.5.4 but still no luck.

Could you (or anyone) PLEASE tell me how to do this? I see all my disk volumes but don't see any shared folder named USBDisk1. If it isn't a shared folder, not sure where/how to find it and change its permissions ... at least not logged in via the web interface.

Do you mean I need to login via SSH? If so, I'd really appreciate more detailed instructions on how to accomplish this!

Many thanks in advance!
DH
All I did was to login to the QTS Web interface with built-in user "admin", that's all.
No SSH, nothing else.
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

Hello
with FW 5.0.0.1828 and TS531 the external HDDs are no longer recognized. I tried with 3 different, exFAT formatted (the exFAT license is up and valid perpetually)
I can access them from a W10 PC
Please help
TS-531P Annapurna
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Report it to qnap via ticket..
rogal_as
First post

Post by rogal_as »

tim@idea-tech.com wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:57 am This is a very old problem that QNAP does not have a solution for. We have had both an older TS-469 Pro and now a TS-453D that both randomly hang the USB ports (~1 in every 3 to 10 tries) going back to pre-4.0 QTS. It takes a system reboot to get the USB interface working again but it takes a very long time (any where between 20 min and never) to shut down the system. WebGUI gets very slow and unresponsive. We have an APC UPS also connected to the a USB port and it disappears when this happens.

I had a remote debug session with Qnap a few years back on the TS-469 Pro and he could not narrow it down. He looked through system dumps and logs and we could see the drive being attached, go through the mount process, recognized as EXT4 file system and then nothing. No warnings, errors, nothing. So Qnap has know about this issue for a considerable time and never got back to us with a fix. It has never been resolved as far as I know.
I have the similar problem from years with TS-253 PRO and two external USB disks.
I noticed that, when I don't putted NAS to sleep, crash of NAS NEVER happened, but when I putted NAS to sleep at night, if time from restart of NAS was longer, that probability of hangup of NAS was higher. After 2-3 weeks from NAS restart and daily putting to sleep, connection of USB disk almost for sure finish with crash.
I sent ticket to Helpdesk, but they asked about type of disks, and they wasn't on compability list, so EOT for them...
In my case also WebGUI was very slow and unresponsive and also APC UPS dissapeared. When I shutted down NAS form WebGUI, I saw information that NAS was shutted down, but NAS still worked, only Power LED don't lighted. It was necessary to press Power button long time to switch off the NAS. After that was necessary to check volumins to errors, because file system was not clean.
Sometimes WebGUI was completely unresponsive and only solution was long pressing of Power button.
tim@idea-tech.com
Starting out

Post by tim@idea-tech.com »

We were never able to resolve the problem with Qnap support, even after they logged in remotely and examined all the logs. We managed to reduce the amount it happened by rebooting the machine on at least a weekly basis. Then, I upgraded the dram to 16GB from 4GB because the memory usage consistently was hanging about 20% free ( yes, I know the max is documented as 8GB). We have not seen a lockup of the USB driver since. I have not upgraded to ver 5 yet and will probably wait till more of the bugs have been worked out.
TS-453D, 4x WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 (2TB), Raid6, 4.5.4.1723
dhighway
Starting out

Post by dhighway »

My experience was the same as others have reported here ... even though helpdesk personnel remoted into my NAS several times, they never found anything and NOTHING was resolved - a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!!!

Giving up on QNAP support, I downgraded from 5.0.0.1828 back to 4.5.4.1741 (after taking 2 full backups) and ALL my problems disappeared! All USB External drives recognized, performance improved 35-45%, and no more Download Station errors!!! ALSO, I didn't lose one byte of data, despite dire warnings from QNAP Tech Support agents!

I have since purchased a Synology DSM920+ (running DSM 7.0.1), ported all my data and am thrilled at how fast and bug-free it is! This is one of those times when I realized THIS is what more money buys!

After being a loyal QNAP user for a decade, I've given away my old TS-431P (with the appropriate warnings of course). From now on, it's only Synology for me!

Return to “Backup & Restore”