External USB drive no longer recognised

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

External USB drive no longer recognised

Post by Beemer2 »

I have been using a 3TB external usb drive with my TS453mini to store Hybrid 3 backups and Windows 10 backups using Macrium Reflect. Today I was checking and found that the backups were recently failing with a notification saying that pairing was not working. File Manager has always showed the USB drive but it does not now show up.
As a test I connected the USB3 drive to my desktop and all folders and files are present. I reconnected the drive to another NAS usb socket but the drive still does not show.
The only recent app change was installing the latest Hybrid 3 backup app.
What else can I check to fix this?
Ian
TS-473A, 32GB, 4x4TB, Raid5, 12GB Red Plus backup
dolbyman
Guru

Re: External USB drive no longer recognised

Post by dolbyman »

what firmware is running on the NAS ? 4.4.2 was retracted (one of the issues was apparently external USB devices)
Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

Post by Beemer2 »

Firmware is 4.4.2.1262 Build 20200402
System status does not show USB drive
Last edited by Beemer2 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

try a downgrade
Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

Post by Beemer2 »

Is there a link to get downgrade firmware?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

Post by Beemer2 »

On the NAS I downloaded the 4.4.1.1146 which is a Zip file. How do I install it? If i unzip it on my desktop I see an .img file.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

manual install via webfrontend (see manual) or via qfinder
Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

Post by Beemer2 »

Installed the older firmware but still no recognition of the usb drive. QNAP hardware page only shows ups (none connected) and printer.
Ian
Frontier
Starting out

Post by Frontier »

I also had this problem, not being able to perform anymore backups on external disks mounted on my TS-451+.
Opened support ticket with QNAP, activated remote support session, after 3 days they still could not found the problem (I've already downgraded to 4.4.1.1216 as suggested by QNAP support, because 4.4.2.1262 has many bugs).
Downgrading did not solve the problem. Removed and re-installed the HBS 3 application, still did not fix the problem.

Then I noticed that I could no longer access the USBDisk1 folder from my Windows 10 machine (Network), nor via Samba from Arch Linux; I did not had access to the folder.
I am using another user to connect to NAS (not the built-in admin) with full admin rights. And this user now (which is an administrator in reality) could not access the USBDisk1 folder.
This made me believe that from some firmware upgrade and after, the firmware messed up with the access rights to external disks (after all these are folders mounted under the QNAP Linux system) and this was the reason HBS3 failed.

The solution was to log-on to the system with 'admin' user and set full R/W rights to the USBDisk1 folder (you can do it in settings after logging in as 'admin').
After that, HBS3 could access the USBDisk1 folder and now external USB backup works again.

Closed the ticket on QNAP support and informed them for the solution, so that they could help others.
Armandooooo
New here

Post by Armandooooo »

I have a similar behaviour with USB but on a keyboard not recognized after 3 seconds (able to type in for 3 seconds ok).
could it be related?
ccoxhead
New here

Post by ccoxhead »

Ditto. Trying to add a new 4TB disk. Firmware 4.4.2.1262.

The disk is easily recognized using the same USB3 enclosure on a Kubuntu machine. I created a new partition table in that machine, too. Still not recognized. Contacting support.
babuja
Know my way around

Post by babuja »

Same here on TS-251+ running 4.4.2.1270.

Also tried to format eternal HDD from Storage&Snapshots menu, but still no success. Disk is recognized but not available on HBS3.

Regards,
Desmac
Starting out

Post by Desmac »

I have the same problem, TS251D running 4.4.2.1270. My 1TB external USB drive is not recognised. following advice above, I'm looking to downgrade the firmware to 4.4.1.1216. Following the instructions for this on the user manual, which does not include the TS251D, the first thing it states is that data should be backed up before updating QTS! huh.
Can I copy information from file manager onto a PC? If so, I've not found out how yet. I am a noobie.
Desmac
Starting out

Re: External USB drive no longer recognised - downgrade result

Post by Desmac »

I have now downgraded my TS251D firmware from 4.4.2.1270 to 4.4.1.1216 to overcome the lack of USB recognition. This was successful in that USB drives are now recognised, and backups are successful. Thanks for the advice above.
When I now try to open apps such as Music Station or Photo Station I get informed that 'XXXX Station is currently offline. To use this feature, go to Multimedia Console and enable Multimedia Services'. When opening Multimedia Console I get a message stating 'Multimedia Console is currently starting up. Please try again later'. It has been like this for three days now.
Also,
I have two 4TB WD Red drives. The seem to be spinning all the tie, when I think they should be sleeping. There seems to 'read/write activity as well. Even when nobody has been accessing the system for hours, Nothing is scheduled. All processes are sleeping or stopped, apart from one uninterruptible kernal process. the cooling fan is also running. The NAS is not enclosed, or in a warm environment.
I don't want to have the drives running all the time,
Can anybody help?
TIA
Desmac

Return to “Backup & Restore”