QuDedup Extract Tool restores some files exactly 1 hour off modfied time

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

QuDedup Extract Tool restores some files exactly 1 hour off modfied time

Post by MikeLagit »

Doing some restore testing with HBS 3, extracting with QuDedup Tool, and then using Beyond Compare 4 to look at the diffs. What I noticed right away are the file times for some files are exactly 1 hour off, and others are not. Time on both QNAP devices are the same and same time zone. Look at this attached pic. The top is windows file explorer after extracting the archive, the bottom is QNAP QuDepud Extract tool. The correct time is the time stored in the QuDedup tool which is 22:43. QuDedup restores the CR2 RAW image files with the modified file time exactly 1 hour off the stored file, yet the sidecar files are the exact time as what's stored in the HBS 3 qdff archive. So it's not like every file is 1 hour off. Obviously an error with QuDedup v1.1.1.19228 which is the latest version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MikeLagit on Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
Model: TS-877-1700 16GB
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Re: HBS 3 restore for some files are exactly 1 hour off modfied time

Post by MikeLagit »

Deleted
Last edited by MikeLagit on Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjwestra
Getting the hang of things

Post by sjwestra »

Hello,

It looks as if this issue has been solved now.

I'm using the most recent version of HBS3 and QTS.

Kind regards,

SJW
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

I just realized this is actually an issue with QuDedup Tool, not HBS 3. In fact HBS 3 does restore properly.

I went ahead and filed a ticket on QuDedup, and I changed the OP subject.

-ML
sjwestra
Getting the hang of things

Re: QuDedup Extract Tool restores some files exactly 1 hour off modfied time

Post by sjwestra »

Ok, thanks.

Actually HBS3 had this issue as well - at least in my case and some other cases - but it seems to be resolved now.

Kind regards,

SJW
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

I have been working with Jorge at QNAP support for 13 days now, and he claims he cannot duplicate this.... 13 days! :o So,,, to help QNAP have a "see-it moment", I created a brand new HBS3 backup qdff with ONLY the 4 files shown in my screenshot, and then I attached it on the support ticket. At first he couldn't even find the attached file in the support thread (I sent a screen shot of it 2 posts up), but when he finally did find it, he got back to me and said they still they cannot "reproduce it". Today I finally called direct on the phone and demonstrated it live, in which he said "he'd have to get back to me".

I've tested this qdff extract with 4 files on 3 different computers, AND with the latest version of QuDedup tool that just came out a few days ago. So I am really disappointed in what I think is QNAP's "go away" standard response of "we can't duplicate this on our end", but seems they haven't even looked at what I sent.

I've spent a lot of time trying to help QNAP fix their products over the years for a better customer experience for ALL, and I would expect support to not waste my time by telling me it can't be replicated when it can, over and over and over, and on multiple machines. I told them I wanted them to share their screen and show me it extracting with the proper modified file times on their side.....haven't heard back. Very very disappointing.
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

I finally got a new support person assigned to this ticket and we are now making some progress. QNAP sent me the tip to compare DOS vs Windows explorer and to our amazement, DOS shows different modified file times compared to windows file explorer! Eeesh. Isn't that crazy?? It seems HBS3 and QuDedup will need to be enhanced to pay attention to this windows issue of managing DST, but the fix is yet to be determined. What should your backup use; DOS reported time, or Windows explorer reported time? Seems like there has to be logic to look at the dates DST is in effect, and if the file was modified in a period when DST was in use, then it would respect that time and restore to the true time. Complexicated!!

https://www.codeproject.com/articles/11 ... nd-getting

Extracted.file.dos.and.explorer.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Backup & Restore”