Mega.nz through QNAP

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
petaqui
New here

Mega.nz through QNAP

Post by petaqui »

Good afternoon!

Does anyone of you tried to use mega.nz through the panel of QNAP? I think that can be a really useful service to backup my NAS (fast, reliable and quite cheap for the space), but to backup everything I have to create my self the package to install megacmd ( https://mega.nz/nas ) and code to make it work. I'm not that kind of tech guy, my knowledge is way below that point of complexity :lol: Do any of you know any other way to backup the NAS to that platform directly from the NAS? At the moment I use my computer to do the job, but don't want to have it running for a month to backup everything, and keep running it to backup newer files.

Thanks a lot!
OneCD
Guru

Re: Mega.nz through QNAP

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

A package to do this is already available: https://qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/564

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
petaqui
New here

Post by petaqui »

Thanks! I saw it, but I don't know how to work with the app. Do I have to connect through ssh? Can I open a console on the qnap Web panel? I couldn't find if I can schedule the tool to run automatically each X hours.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Yes, it’s a package of command-line tools, so you’ll need to login via SSH to use them.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
petaqui
New here

Post by petaqui »

And doing so, if I close the console, the process will stop, isn't it?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I don't know, I haven't used these tools myself.

Try it and see. ;)

petaqui
New here

Post by petaqui »

I created a virtual station with Ubuntu and installed there the megasync client. Mounted the NAS folder wanted to backup, and set it to run permanently. I'll share if it goes well in some days, so in case someone needs an opinion in a future, maybe my experience will help.
Thanks Onecd for your messages!
DiaLogical
Starting out

Post by DiaLogical »

petaqui wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm I created a virtual station with Ubuntu and installed there the megasync client. Mounted the NAS folder wanted to backup, and set it to run permanently. I'll share if it goes well in some days, so in case someone needs an opinion in a future, maybe my experience will help.
Thanks Onecd for your messages!
Works flawlessly? Or what has your exp been using it? Thanks.
petaqui
New here

Post by petaqui »

Works with some issues: you need to reboot the VM every 2 days or so as it doesn't detect new files added to the NAS while the VM is running. So a reboot is needed to have the new files uploaded
rpotocny
Starting out

Post by rpotocny »

Hi, have you tried to use docker instead of WM ? This could use much less resources and easier to setup / restart and so...

Anyway, I am using not command line but full linux application via docker, see details in github https://github.com/john-shine/mega.syno
petaqui
New here

Post by petaqui »

Thanks for the idea! The thing is that I'm not that expert on Linux. I can follow a tutorial but seems that I have to guess steps and probably won't work haha do you have any tutorial? Thanks!!
rpotocny
Starting out

Post by rpotocny »

Well, so learn a bit, docker is very powerfull application, you'll when you learn...you almost not need WM

1.) Firstly install docker application in qnap (there will be a lot of youtube videos, maybe you have it already isntalled)
2.) ssh into Qnap (I hope you know what is it, if not google it)
3.) run command in ssh, sudo docker run --name megasync --restart always -e DISPLAY=':1' -e HOME='/home/mega' -e USER='megasync' -e vnc_password="XXXXX" -d -p 5901:5901 -v /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Download:/megaclient-folders/:ro johnshine/mega.syno:1.5
4.) install VNC viewer in your windows and add new connection with XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:5901 where XXX is your NAS IP address
5.) login to VNC viewer using password from vnc_password="XXXXX" and you will see mega application

Where XXXXX will be your password when use VNC in WIndows deskop for example
Where /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Download will be mapped to megaclient-folders which will be visible in Mega application
gnapfan111
Starting out

Post by gnapfan111 »

rpotocny wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:48 pm 3.) run command in ssh, sudo docker run --name megasync --restart always -e DISPLAY=':1' -e HOME='/home/mega' -e USER='megasync' -e vnc_password="XXXXX" -d -p 5901:5901 -v /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Download:/megaclient-folders/:ro johnshine/mega.syno:1.5
Thanks for the excellent suggestion!
I try to follow your instructions, but I am stuck here.
It is asking for a Password.

I went to https://github.com/john-shine/mega.syno, but didn't find any info about what to put when the password is requested.

If I run in ssh "sudo docker pull johnshine/mega.syno:latest", the same way it stops by asking for a password.

Any ideas?
rpotocny
Starting out

Post by rpotocny »

See the argument / parameter vnc_password="XXXXX" where XXXXX is your password (it can be anything you want)

When VNC request a password, you type XXXXX (your chosen password)
gnapfan111
Starting out

Post by gnapfan111 »

I think I'm stuck before that, the sudo pull command is asking for a password:

[user@QNAP ~]$ sudo docker run --name megasync --restart always -e DISPLAY=':1' -e HOME='/home/mega' -e USER='megasync' -e vnc_password="XXXXX" -d -p 5901:5901 -v /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Download:/megaclient-folders/:ro johnshine/mega.syno:latest

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:

OR

[user@QNAP ~]$ sudo docker pull johnshine/mega.syno:latest

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:

Return to “Backup & Restore”