HBS 3 won't show my home folder

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Sangie
Starting out

HBS 3 won't show my home folder

Post by Sangie »

For some reason when I make a new sync after I made one already using my folder in homes, the homes folder no longer shows so I can't point a sync job to it. I don't want to run the main job yet until I verify it works and doesn't redownload everything by testing a subfolder.

But I have another OneDrive account I want to add in a different subfolder and I can't add that either as my home folder no longer shows up.

What am I doing wrong?
Forcefire
New here

Re: HBS 3 won't show my home folder

Post by Forcefire »

Did you find a solution?
Stratos
Starting out

Post by Stratos »

Yes, did you find a solution? Mine is also doing this, very annoying.
coofercat
New here

Post by coofercat »

I too have this problem. I can't see "homes" in any of the screens in HBS3 :-(

FWIW, I'd like to rsync homes to an rsync server, but tried looking in all the other backup methods and options to see if I could back up home directories *anywhere at all* - sadly, homes never shows up. I haven't used HBS for a while, but I know it used to have homes available, as I've used rsync from there before. I suspect this is since it became HBS3 rather than "Hybrid Backup Station" (presumably version 1 or 2?).

Is it just me, or does Qnap make this sort of (simple) think far too complicated? :-(
quassum
Know my way around

Post by quassum »

It's because by default your user probably doesn't have access to a listing of the home folder. The real solution here would be if HBS 3 would just allow us to type in a full path since a lot of people here in this forum seem to have the same problem.
muzzle
New here

Post by muzzle »

I had this problem and traced it to the weirdness that QNAP has about home directories. They are stored under "/homes/" (plural) which you need to explicitly grant users other than "admin" access to, even if they're in the "administrators" group.

So if you're trying to create a HBS3 job as a user that hasn't been explicitly granted permission, then "homes" won't appear in HBS3

FileStation has some voodoo going on where it creates "home" (non-plural) as a short-cut to /homes/<username>, but that doesn't happen in HBS3.

So the easiest solution is to use "admin" to create all your HBS3 jobs.
muzzle
New here

Post by muzzle »

Direct quote from QNAP support regarding why /home/ is not in HBS3:

"It is designed that way, non admin users will only see their own "home" directory via file station or SMB/AFP."
mijanek
New here

Post by mijanek »

Hi, I have to pop this question again up. I have the same problem with QTS5. My user does have admin rights but I don‘t see homes directory in HBS 3. I have disabled the build in admin as requirwd due to security issues.
Does this means, that only the build in admin is able ro Backup homes, thus I have to decide between data loss of homes or breach in security issues?
mijanek
New here

Post by mijanek »

Addendum to my post. I have again enabled the build in admin user and HBS 3 sees the homes directory.
Does anyone knows the sollution to have it kept secure?

Return to “Backup & Restore”