HBS3 two-way sync to cloud very slow

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
OisinJK
New here

HBS3 two-way sync to cloud very slow

Post by OisinJK » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi
I'm using a TS-251+, QTS 4.4.2.1320, HBS 3.0.200529
I have a two-way sync job with OneDrive that runs overnight. The folders I am syncing have a total size of 284.4GB.
I have 2.2Mbps upload bandwidth available on an uncontended line, and nothing else is using my bandwidth overnight.
Whilst 284.4GB is large, I presume that since each day only a little of this changes. Because of other issues, I have not run the job for a couple of weeks and so the size of altered files is around 11GB.
On this basis, by my calculations, it should take around 11 hours to complete.
But it never seems to complete. For instance, overnight last night the logs state:

Started 20:48, I stopped it at 11:54, i.e. around 15 hours.
Transferred data is 3.24GB
Processing speed is 62.83KB/s

My dataflow monitor shows that during this the full bandwidth of 2.2 Mbps was being used.
Why is HBS3 so slow and why does the job not complete?
Any ideas?
Thanks O

P3R
Guru

Re: HBS3 two-way sync to cloud very slow

Post by P3R » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:15 pm

When you haven't run the job for weeks I suspect that HBS decide it's out of sync and need to synchronize all data. The only way to do that is probably to send all data across. I'd say that 2.2 Mbps is not enough bandwidth to use a cloud storage solution.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

OisinJK
New here

Re: HBS3 two-way sync to cloud very slow

Post by OisinJK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:42 pm

Thanks P3R

Return to “Backup & Restore”