HBS 3 does not start (app remains dark)

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
mariachi76
Getting the hang of things

HBS 3 does not start (app remains dark)

Post by mariachi76 »

Hello,
I have a TVS-872XT and an older TS-851 for backup, both running on the newest QTS 4.4.3.1354.
On both NAS, hybrid backup sync V3.0.200529 is installed and was running for months now, but suddently on the TVS-872XT HBS 3 does not open anymore. If I open the app, the app-window shows its main page in a bit a darker shade, and freezes.
I deleted and reinstalled HBS 3, I even fully reinitialized the NAS and setup everything again. I even downgraded the firmware to previous 4.4.2.1320.

The result is always the same.
On my older TS-851 HBS3 works fine. Any clue or suggestion what else to try?

best regards
Rainer
TVS-872XT, 8x Exos 16TB Raid6, 2xCrucial NVMe 1TB
TS-873A, 8x Exos 8TB Raid5 for Backup
P3R
Guru

Re: HBS 3 does not start (app remains dark)

Post by P3R »

RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
mariachi76
Getting the hang of things

Post by mariachi76 »

Thanks P3R,

in the end your advice helped to solve problem, although in a very unexpected way:
- as part of the ticket opening, it is required to attach diagnostic protocols. I tried that, but a chrome browser extension somehow interfered with the protocols download, so I opened the QTS config page in Internet explorer to download that protocol.
That brought me to the idea to open HBS3 in the internet explorer session... et voila, HBS3 worked fine (after clicking away a window praising the features of the new HBS3)
And after that, even in Chrome HBS3 worked fine! (without displaying that feature window).

So my current conclusion is
- the feature window somehow interfered with Chrome
- always ask for support, it helps even if it doesnt help :-)

best regards
Rainer
TVS-872XT, 8x Exos 16TB Raid6, 2xCrucial NVMe 1TB
TS-873A, 8x Exos 8TB Raid5 for Backup
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

mariachi76 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:56 pm - always ask for support, it helps even if it doesnt help :-)
:lol:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Backup & Restore”