Poorly setup NAS, newbie help needed.

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
markus242005
First post

Poorly setup NAS, newbie help needed.

Post by markus242005 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:01 am

Hello all!

I am running a TS-453A on firmware 4.3.6.0923 as a NAS but it's primary use is currently as a Plex Server. Originally I had 2 4TB WD Reds, 1 4TB WD Green and a 3TB WD Blue (yes, I know, a mess). One Red was setup as a single disk which is drive 1, has everything on it, QTS, all my data etc. I then setup a data pool on disks 2 and 3 (4TB red and 4TB green), which I manually backed up the data from drive 1 a few times, and drive 4 (3TB Blue) was another random disk that had basically nothing on it. My main issue is that disk 1 and disk 3 are failing. Both with I/O history errors.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to clone drive 1 while it's still readable, to an external drive, so I can shut down the nas, swap in the cloned drive, and start up like nothing ever happened. THEN, setup a true RAID 1 or RAID 10 with 3 more 4TB WD Reds, 3 of which would be new, and the fourth (or first depending on how you look at it) would be this cloned drive. Any assistance in figuring out how to accomplish cloning drive one would be greatly appreciated, I have the ability to install it in bay 2 after reformatting or as an external drive in a hot swap USB cradle.

Thanks in advance!

Markus

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Poorly setup NAS, newbie help needed.

Post by dolbyman » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:06 pm

never backup internally on your nas... always external backups

backups the whole nas
setup a single raid5 with same size disks
if you want to keep the first drive, convert that drive from single to raid1 to raid5
restore files via external backups

Return to “Backup & Restore”