HBS versioning = full nas

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
longreach
New here

HBS versioning = full nas

Post by longreach » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:06 am

Good Morning

I am hoping someone can help.
I have setup HBS3 backups with version control, source is a qnap and the destination is a qnap.
Backup is successful.

However versioning appears to work but no space is ever released when a backup expires.
So when it is time for a backup to expire HBS deletes the file, but no free space is reclaimed.
I have even manually deleted/trimmed the old backups from file explorer but my free space still does not increase.

Is this normal for HBS3? With most backup software when an incremental is expired and deleted the amount of space consumed by backups decrease.

Thank you

P3R
Guru

Re: HBS versioning = full nas

Post by P3R » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Welcome to the user community!

HBS versioning works in the way that only the files changed or deleted will take up additional storage capacity. Unchanged files will only be a link back to the original file stored in a previous version and not use up any additional storage.

Since an older version that contain no changed or deleted files doesn't use any storage capacity, it also won't free up any space when it is deleted.

So when doing a large delete on the source NAS. That capacity won't be freed up on the backup NAS until the configured retention times out that versioned backup or that you delete the specific backup version that contain the changed/deleted files.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

longreach
New here

Post by longreach » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:48 am

Hi Thanks for the response.

That is how I hope it should work.
I have moved my retention from 6 months down to 2 weeks.
A heap of backups were deleted.
However there was no change in the amount of free space.
The consumed space stayed exactly the same.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm

I can only tell you how it's supposed to work, I can't tell you what is wrong for you with the limited information supplied.

Maybe you had almost no changed or deleted files in the backup versions you deleted and all changes of significant size are in the backup versions you kept?

Or maybe you have things in a Network recycle bin confusing you?

Or maybe you have snapshots enabled that use up all your additional space?

If you want further suggestions you need to supply enough information for the community to be able to understand what you have and/or consider to open a case with Qnap support.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Backup & Restore”