Restore HBS3 backup to computer

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
restwzeasy
New here

Restore HBS3 backup to computer

Post by restwzeasy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 am

I'm new to QNAP and am trying to test the backup-2-cloud/restore-from abilities of HBS3 backups. I've backed up couple variations of some test folders to BackBlaze and Glacier and am trying to test catastrophic NAS restore to a computer. I've tested restore to the NAS and that worked fine, but what if my NAS is dead and I need to get my files back? I've had some success with restoring backups that use encryption and QuDedup by downloading the qdff file set from cloud store and using QNAP's QuDedup Extract Tool for Mac to parse and extract files from the qdff archive set. However, if I don't use QuDedup for my backup all I'm left with is bunch of *.qnap.bz2 files which the QNAP QuDedup Extraction Tool can't read. Aside from purchasing a new NAS in case my current one dies, what are my restore options for cloud backups? I'm especially interested in restoring the unencrypted content that doesn't use QuDedup.

Appreciate all help.

Paul
TVS-872XT

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Re: Restore HBS3 backup to computer

Post by MikeLagit » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 am

Why not just use the tool. Download it, and have it ready to go. It's like zip, if you've zipped it, just use unzip to unzip it.

Otherwise you'll probably need to find something else to backup with.
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
(HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf

Model: TS-877-1700 16GB
(HDD): [RAID-5] 4 x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf

Model:TS-569L 3GB
(HDD): [RAID-5] 4 x 3TB WD Red

sentinelvdx
Know my way around

Post by sentinelvdx » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm

restwzeasy wrote:I'm new to QNAP and am trying to test the backup-2-cloud/restore-from abilities of HBS3 backups. I've backed up couple variations of some test folders to BackBlaze and Glacier and am trying to test catastrophic NAS restore to a computer. I've tested restore to the NAS and that worked fine, but what if my NAS is dead and I need to get my files back? I've had some success with restoring backups that use encryption and QuDedup by downloading the qdff file set from cloud store and using QNAP's QuDedup Extract Tool for Mac to parse and extract files from the qdff archive set. However, if I don't use QuDedup for my backup all I'm left with is bunch of *.qnap.bz2 files which the QNAP QuDedup Extraction Tool can't read. Aside from purchasing a new NAS in case my current one dies, what are my restore options for cloud backups? I'm especially interested in restoring the unencrypted content that doesn't use QuDedup.

Appreciate all help.

Paul
I have the exact same question.
I'm currently backing up my NAS client-side encrypted without QuDedup to Google Cloud... so QuDedup extract tool does not work.

I would like to know which alternatives do I have apart from getting another QNAP NAS and restoring from there.
Also maybe I could require to recover just one folder or file on an emergency... I don't want to restore the whole thing... maybe just that decrypted on my PC and make use of it.

Using S.G.S9+ Duos w/ Tapatalk

NAS: TS-251+ 16GB DDR3L 1600mhz CAS11
Firm: QTS 4.4.3.xxxx
HDD's: 2x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS 7.2k RPM - RAID0
Port Trunk: 802.3ad w/ Systimax CAT6a
PC's OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

restwzeasy
New here

Post by restwzeasy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:30 am

MikeLagit wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 am
Why not just use the tool. Download it, and have it ready to go. It's like zip, if you've zipped it, just use unzip to unzip it.

Otherwise you'll probably need to find something else to backup with.
I don't follow. I don't know what tool you're talking about. Is there a tool for this? If so, can you please share the name/link?

I downloaded the content from cloud storage which came as a zip. I unzipped it. So far so good. Now I have directories full of *.gnap.bz2 files. How do I restore these *.qnap.bz2 files?
TVS-872XT

scsirob
Getting the hang of things

Post by scsirob » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Same issue here. Would be nice if there's a PC-based version of HBS3 so you can point it at your S3 container and restore to whatever PC you have available at that time.
Any options for this?

Return to “Backup & Restore”