Restore HBS3 backup to computer

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
restwzeasy
New here

Restore HBS3 backup to computer

Post by restwzeasy »

I'm new to QNAP and am trying to test the backup-2-cloud/restore-from abilities of HBS3 backups. I've backed up couple variations of some test folders to BackBlaze and Glacier and am trying to test catastrophic NAS restore to a computer. I've tested restore to the NAS and that worked fine, but what if my NAS is dead and I need to get my files back? I've had some success with restoring backups that use encryption and QuDedup by downloading the qdff file set from cloud store and using QNAP's QuDedup Extract Tool for Mac to parse and extract files from the qdff archive set. However, if I don't use QuDedup for my backup all I'm left with is bunch of *.qnap.bz2 files which the QNAP QuDedup Extraction Tool can't read. Aside from purchasing a new NAS in case my current one dies, what are my restore options for cloud backups? I'm especially interested in restoring the unencrypted content that doesn't use QuDedup.

Appreciate all help.

Paul
TVS-872XT
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Re: Restore HBS3 backup to computer

Post by MikeLagit »

Why not just use the tool. Download it, and have it ready to go. It's like zip, if you've zipped it, just use unzip to unzip it.

Otherwise you'll probably need to find something else to backup with.
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
Model: TS-877-1700 16GB
sentinelvdx
Know my way around

Post by sentinelvdx »

restwzeasy wrote:I'm new to QNAP and am trying to test the backup-2-cloud/restore-from abilities of HBS3 backups. I've backed up couple variations of some test folders to BackBlaze and Glacier and am trying to test catastrophic NAS restore to a computer. I've tested restore to the NAS and that worked fine, but what if my NAS is dead and I need to get my files back? I've had some success with restoring backups that use encryption and QuDedup by downloading the qdff file set from cloud store and using QNAP's QuDedup Extract Tool for Mac to parse and extract files from the qdff archive set. However, if I don't use QuDedup for my backup all I'm left with is bunch of *.qnap.bz2 files which the QNAP QuDedup Extraction Tool can't read. Aside from purchasing a new NAS in case my current one dies, what are my restore options for cloud backups? I'm especially interested in restoring the unencrypted content that doesn't use QuDedup.

Appreciate all help.

Paul
I have the exact same question.
I'm currently backing up my NAS client-side encrypted without QuDedup to Google Cloud... so QuDedup extract tool does not work.

I would like to know which alternatives do I have apart from getting another QNAP NAS and restoring from there.
Also maybe I could require to recover just one folder or file on an emergency... I don't want to restore the whole thing... maybe just that decrypted on my PC and make use of it.

Using S.G.S9+ Duos w/ Tapatalk

NAS: TS-251+ 16GB DDR3L 1600mhz CAS11
Firm: QTS 5.0.0.xxxx
HDD's: 2x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS - RAID0
Port Trunk: 802.3ad w/ Systimax CAT6a
restwzeasy
New here

Post by restwzeasy »

MikeLagit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 am Why not just use the tool. Download it, and have it ready to go. It's like zip, if you've zipped it, just use unzip to unzip it.

Otherwise you'll probably need to find something else to backup with.
I don't follow. I don't know what tool you're talking about. Is there a tool for this? If so, can you please share the name/link?

I downloaded the content from cloud storage which came as a zip. I unzipped it. So far so good. Now I have directories full of *.gnap.bz2 files. How do I restore these *.qnap.bz2 files?
TVS-872XT
scsirob
Getting the hang of things

Post by scsirob »

Same issue here. Would be nice if there's a PC-based version of HBS3 so you can point it at your S3 container and restore to whatever PC you have available at that time.
Any options for this?
cuibonobo
Starting out

Post by cuibonobo »

I'm also looking for something like this. My NAS died recently but I have my files backed up to BackBlaze B2 using HBS3. It would be great if there was a way to restore directly from cloud data.

Edit: To clarify, I do see the .qdff folder when I browse the files in my BackBlaze B2 bucket. However, in order to restore a single file I need to download the entire 2TB folder. It would be much better to have a tool that can be run on Windows/Mac/Linux that can browse and restore single files directly from cloud storage.
cuibonobo
Starting out

Post by cuibonobo »

I found a way to restore individual files from a HBS3 cloud backup on Windows without having to download the entire .qdff folder. I wrote a detailed tutorial in a separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=154837&p=766925#p766925
restwzeasy
New here

Post by restwzeasy »

Thank you for sharing, but it sounds like the process only works if you enable QuDedup. If I don't use QuDedup for my backup all I'm left with is bunch of *.qnap.bz2 files which the QNAP QuDedup Extraction Tool can't read. Do you know of a way to work with the *.qnap.bz2 files directly?
cuibonobo wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 pm I found a way to restore individual files from a HBS3 cloud backup on Windows without having to download the entire .qdff folder. I wrote a detailed tutorial in a separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=154837&p=766925#p766925
TVS-872XT
cuibonobo
Starting out

Post by cuibonobo »

I understand that you downloaded your files from the cloud, but they still should have been in a folder with a .qdff extension. That entire folder is what QuDedup reads. And to clarify, you don't need to use QuDedup to create these files -- it's used to read files created by HybridBackupSync.
restwzeasy
New here

Post by restwzeasy »

I triple checked and checked again after reading your email and there are no .qdff files or folders with those files in the backups where no QuDedup and/or encryption were used. Anyone from QNAP able to help answer the question please?
TVS-872XT
cuibonobo
Starting out

Post by cuibonobo »

Well, in case anyone else did their backup with HBS3 and doesn't know where to look, my cloud provider is Backblaze B2 and I pointed it at a specific bucket for backups. The backup job itself in HBS3 was called "Homes", so in the cloud it appeared as `bucket_name/backup/Homes.qdff`. Here's a screenshot:
2020-11-16 10_23_58-Clipboard.png
The "YourBackupJob.qdff" folder is what QuDedup needs to read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-t1t0-
New here

Post by -t1t0- »

Hello,

Having the same question. I want to upload encrypted data to one drive using HBS 3 Hybrid Backup on my QNAP. How can i restore that data if my NAS Dies??

Thanks
-t1t0-
New here

Post by -t1t0- »

Anyone on the forum can answer this?
cuibonobo
Starting out

Post by cuibonobo »

-t1t0- wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:36 am Anyone on the forum can answer this?
The QuDedup Extract Utility from QNAP should allow you to extract your backups to a usable format, but first you need to download the files from your cloud backup. You can find the QuDedup utility here: https://www.qnap.com/en/utilities/enterprise#utliity_18
timbald
First post

Post by timbald »

I know this is an old thread but to explain for anyone else asking this question. If you DON'T use QuDeDup when configuring HBS3 backup, then all the QNAP does is compress the files to bzip2 format, when the file is over a certain size. You can even turn off compression when doing the backup. Strangely, and perhaps whats confused those on this thread asking the question, HBS3 simply compresses the file using bzip2 format but appends .qnap.bz2 as the extension, rather than just the expected .bz2. When you use a tool like 7zip (Windows) or built in Archiver (macOS) top unzip the file it leaves the .qnap extension on file you unzipped. Just remove it. Voila there is your file ready to go. Hope this helps.

Return to “Backup & Restore”