Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Hybrid Backup RTRR impossibly slow

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

pekako wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:22 pm
please try to disable ssl.
this helped me.
after the change i have 90MegaByte/sec
i disabled ssl, run the short test for the connection, it did improve the speed by 10 MB/s at least. I'm using over local lan, so SSL is overkill ya?

*keep in mind i had a job running while i did this test, so maybe it can possibly be faster if i ran test when not having an active job running :'

but still my result in hbs is like 60-70 MB/s now. then again i'm using the checksum verification, so that slows things down further :' I tested with TS-877 to TS-653A

P3R wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:44 pm Did you set it up as local or remote storage? Local would definitely be preferred and doing that I don't even understand how SSL could be enabled.
oo, sorry for the confusion. the ssl was in reference to the ts-653a and the ts-509 pro. the tl-d400s does not use ssl at all. i may have mispoke earlier :'

Local. If i am not mistaken, this was the only option for me (it was only selectable as local), because the TL-D400S is connected directly into the TS-877 with the installed addon card for connection kinda cable thingy that came with it :' I understand that is the best connection possible since it's connected direct.

I'll wait a couple of qts releases then try run the backup again when i do my scheduled backup in a few months time and report back.

I'm waiting for quts hero for my ts-877.... because i want to do a full reinitialization (and at the same time i can also test if recovering data from the TL-D400S actually works for this scenario). Because everytime i check on hbs settings, i sometimes get a reoccuring error pop up message. looks benign but i worry about that message in HBS. feels like the app is corrupt on my system. But i don't know how to fix that unless i do a full reinit. Which i hope coincides with quts hero release.

fyi i upgraded my previous 8 port managed switch for a 24 port managed poe+ switch. So we can rule the switch out as the problem :'

here i made a network topology to offer insight how my network is laid out

all cat 6 ethernet cabling. exception being the cat6 going through wall is a solid cat6. and 1-2 cat5e going to non crucial equipment. and the special cable for use that came with the tl-d400s to connect it to the qnap ts-877.

and as for wifi connectivity, i only use it for devices that have no choice but to use wifi for connectivity. the asus is not in use except when the unifi ap is down for some reason. Hopefully i can replace the asus for another wifi ap, so i can then have wifi ap in 2 separate rooms for even better reception, rather than relying on an ap in a different room as such provides a weaker signal :(

but my managed switches are POE+ so that is 1 less issue to worry about :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
mojito1234
New here

Post by mojito1234 »

Is there any news on this. I also only achieve transfer rates of up to 12MB/s.

TS-451D2 --> TS-419P+

Both NAS are connected via Switch TL-SG-108 and also show a 1 Gbit connection in the network settings. Speedtest shows up to 115MB/s. SSL and all other resource consuming settings are disabled. I have tried both MTU 1500 and 9000. 9000 seems to transfer more something data per second - as expected.

Files of different sizes are transferred. The transfer rate decreases for small files and increases again for large ones - as expected. However, I do not achieve more than 12 MB/s.

Is it possible that the TS-419P+ with its CPU is the bottleneck here? The CPU load is very high (80-90%).
ColHut
Know my way around

Post by ColHut »

Re TS-419, some speed tests here:

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/q ... as/322623/

And

https://www.legitreviews.com/qnap-ts-41 ... w-2_1505/7

Maybe file size related . Many small files?

Regards
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

mojito1234 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:21 pm Is it possible that the TS-419P+ with its CPU is the bottleneck here? The CPU load is very high (80-90%).
Yes.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
mojito1234
New here

Post by mojito1234 »

Thanks for the quick reply.
The file size is not the cause as far as I can tell. Most likely it is the CPU. Is there anyone else here with a TS-419P+ or another NAS with the same CPU which is the backup destination?
part deux
Getting the hang of things

Post by part deux »

TS431 is the destination source. Running at a steady 11 MB/s. 8T is taking a LONG time to backup
StardustOne
Know my way around

Post by StardustOne »

I am doing a sync with about 25 MB/s to my external USB 3.0 hard drive from the USB 3.0 port on my TS431+ and yes I can also conform that this incredibly and riiculously slow. The read is done from the RAID5, what is not fully clear to me is why can a NAS that has 100 MB/s throughput only 25 MB/s when it writes to a local disk. And I even have an SSD Cache installed for the read acceleration.
keegan
First post

Post by keegan »

I think enough peoplpe have complained for long enough about this -- has QNAP provided any response to any of the threads on this topic?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP does not come here, so why would you think they would post on the topics?

Only way to get a statement from QNAP is to open a ticket
anybody
New here

Post by anybody »

Also impossibly slow for me when transferring files between a somewhat older QNAP NAS (Annapurna labs ARM based with 10GBe Port, so it's not that old or that bad!) to a brand new Intel based QNAP NAS. Performance about 8-10MB/s over a gigabit LAN connection. Was unable to say why it was so slow, but my guess is excessive cpu load on the source arm based QNAP? Switched to rsync which is implemented in a crappy way by QNAP (you need to create a separate task for every single folder you want to transfer). But that solved the speed problem (now close to GBit at least when transferring large files).

RTRR is broken. And QNAP just doesn't care LOL.

Return to “Backup & Restore”