HBS 3 ver 14.0.1215 gets bogged down at 5%

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
gedonis
Starting out

Re: HBS 3 ver 14.0.1215 gets bogged down at 5%

Post by gedonis »

P3R wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:53 pm
gedonis wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:03 pm In October 2020 HBS synced 100% (10 Tb) in 12-16 hours
In March 2021 HBS synced less than 5% in 12 hours
Nothing changed seriously in my files
Well I of course know no details but the data set that you sync increased from 1.46 TB to 8.47 TB between your two screenshots.
Obviously HBS got a bug since October 2020
Yes, I don't think anyone here disagree about that something is wrong in HBS currently. As I said earlier though, this user community can't fix bugs, only Qnap can do that. So only if we report our issues to Qnap support, will it ever be fixed. The more of us that start cases with support, the more attention the issue will be given and the sooner it will be fixed.
I made both screenshots today. Status on the first screenshot is outside the pic. Size of data is identical.
Marc J
Getting the hang of things

Post by Marc J »

Just got a TS-453D, Firmware 4.5.2.1594, HBS 3 version 15.1.0225

Both backup and Sync jobs become painfully slow after about 10 - 15 minutes. Write speed (to WD Elements 4Tb USB3) drops to almost zero, what should take probably 3-4 hours max (1.2Tb of data) gives an ETA of around 12 days+ on the backup, which I cancelled.

Switched to sync jobs instead, as at least they can be stopped and restarted easily, to give me a backup of my data.

But, as it is, it's not fit for purpose. Backup station on my old TS-439-Pro to an eSATA disk (all purchased over 10 years ago) did the same job in about 3 hours, with the same data. I guess that's what you call progress, QNAP?
Marc J

Post by Marc J »

Reply from QNAP support on this issue: -
QNAP Support wrote:Thanks for the update and testing. I have checked with our R&D team, it looks like its a bug that will be resolved in HBS3 V16.0.0319.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Marc J wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:39 am Reply from QNAP support on this issue: -
QNAP Support wrote:Thanks for the update and testing. I have checked with our R&D team, it looks like its a bug that will be resolved in HBS3 V16.0.0319.
Thank you for sharing! Let's hope they get the new version out soon.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
jlrx81
New here

Post by jlrx81 »

We are also experiencing this issue, is there any way to roll back to the previous version of HBS before the update gets released.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

jlrx81 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:12 am We are also experiencing this issue, is there any way to roll back to the previous version of HBS before the update gets released.
Yes if you get hold of an older HBS app file you could try. I would guess that downgrades aren't supported though and if I'm correct there's a risk that something may break from it.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
jlrx81
New here

Post by jlrx81 »

I have a slightly older version of HBS 3 on another qnap system, is there a way to find the qpkg on that nas?
jlrx81
New here

Post by jlrx81 »

So I've found older versions directly on QNAP's website, I've loaded everything, I've even downgraded the NAS to before we started having this issue, but the issue still remains.

Is there something else causing this problem? Is there a specific version that resolved it?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

What do you think about the HBS version 16.0 out now that is said to resolve the issue?

Marc J

Post by Marc J »

P3R wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:55 am What do you think about the HBS version 16.0 out now that is said to resolve the issue?
Definitely an improvement - no longer hangs indefinitely. 1.2Tb backup job to USB3 took 10 hours. It did seem to hang often (on lots of small files), but then recovered without any interaction from me. I still think this is perhaps a little slower than it should be, though?
spikemixture
Been there, done that

Post by spikemixture »

HBS 3 Hybrid Backup Sync 16.0.0415 did not fix my extremely slow backups.

I have posted already that I have tried RTRR, SMB and FTP from Qnap to Qnap and Qnap to Synology and Qnap to External USB3.

Media 30tb slow but acceptable
Data 4TB of mostly small files takes 10+ hours to "backup" .I think it is re-backing up the whole 4TB. Maybe a permission thing and HBS sees new files when they are not??

This has all happened since HBS3 !!
hbs33Capture.JPG
14 hours = 1.38gb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Qnap TS-1277 1700 (48gb RAM) 8x10TB WD White,- Raid5, 2x M.2 Crucial 1TB (Raid 1 VM),
2x SSD 860 EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD 860 EVO 250GB (Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe 970 500gb NVME (Raid1 Plex and Emby server)
GTX 1050 TI
Qnap TVS-1282 i7 (32GB RAM) 6x8TB WD White - JBOD, 2x M.2 Crucial 500gb (Raid1 VM),
2x SSD EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD EVO 250gb (Raid1 Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe Intel 512GB NVME (Raid1-Servers)
Synology -1817+ - DOA
Drobo 5n - 5x4TB Seagate, - Drobo Raid = 15TB
ProBox 8 Bay USB3 - 49TB mixed drives - JBOD
All software is updated asap.
I give my opinion from my experience i.e. I have (or had) that piece of equipment/software and used it! :roll:
jonfweber
New here

Post by jonfweber »

Using HBS 3 v16.0.0419 and a clean install after factory reset, I HBS3 remains stuck at 5% other than for very small back up jobs, which renders the product useless. I am trying to backup <1TB to external HDs that I know to be reliable.

I have posted 2 help tickets to QNAP -- no response. I see that the other backup apps available in the app store seem oriented to cloud storage. Qsync does not seem like an appropriate app to run backups at intervals. Is there any other application I can use to run auto backups to an external HD?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

jonfweber wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:55 pm Using HBS 3 v16.0.0419 and a clean install after factory reset, I HBS3 remains stuck at 5%...
Define stuck. For how long?

Do you see activity on the drive lights, on the external drive and/or on the internal drive?

What file system is the external drive formatted with?

Is it formatted on the Qnap or elsewhere?
I am trying to backup <1TB...
How many files?

Is it a sync or backup job?

If a backup, are you using QuDedup or not?

jonfweber
New here

Post by jonfweber »

Thanks

it is stuck indefinitely. Moves to 5% and stops - no estimate of time remaining
the light on the drive do show activity
It is a backup job
External drive formatted in Windows.
I am using QueDeDup

There are about 4K files
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

jonfweber wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:48 am it is stuck indefinitely.
And how long have you've waited for it? 15 minutes, 15 hours or 15 days?
Moves to 5% and stops - no estimate of time remaining
In my experience progress indicators are mostly unreliable, particularly when below 60-70 % anyway so let's forget about the 5%. I've had the progress indicator stall at higher numbers as well.
the light on the drive do show activity
That's good.
It is a backup job
Is it a versioned backup job? If so, then just try to stop the job and then run it again. That have been my workaround for the slowness but I don't know if that's effective with QuDedup.
External drive formatted in Windows.
So then I have to guess that the file system is NTFS. If so would try to format it to NTFS on the Qnap instead. I'm not sure and it shouldn't be that way of course but I've done that in the past with NTFS external disks and had better results.

As a test you could also try to format the disk to the Ext4 file system, change nothing else and try that to see if your slowdown is related to HBS or how Qnap handle the NTFS file system. I'm not suggesting that you should stay on Ext4 if that's not convenient for you, it's just intended as a troubleshooting test.
I am using QueDeDup
Unfortunately I have very little experience with it.
There are about 4K files
Okay that's not very much for a little less than 1 TB. Many small files are otherwise known to slow down backups considerably.

Return to “Backup & Restore”