HBS 3 ver 14.0.1215 gets bogged down at 5%

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Re: HBS 3 ver 14.0.1215 gets bogged down at 5%

Post by alokeprasad »

Please file a bug report using the Qnap tech support web site or the HelpCenter HelpDesk app in QTS.
The more bug reports, the better.

On the plus side, Qnap seems to be aware of the problem: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=159577#p780075
NAS: TS-453Be
RAM:Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT2KIT51264BF160B
QTS: 5.1.4
HDD's: RAID 6: Four 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
USB HDD: One 12 TB WD Elements (WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN)
Switch: Netgear GS108
philipellis
Starting out

Post by philipellis »

mroy5150 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:52 am I am having the same problem but with only one file on a Backup Sync to OneDrive. The backup syncs for all of my other folders (Documents, Pictures, Home Movies) work fine. However I've noticed that the backup sync for my Outlook PST file hangs at 5%. I've done some testing and determined that it seems to have a problem with larger files. My PST file is about 1.3 GB. I tried the same example with movies that are over 2 GB and get the same result. It doesn't error out it just hangs at 5% for as long as you let it go. This just started happening about a week ago. I'm not sure if there was a recent update to HBS that caused this to happen or if my outlook file just grew to a size that hit the limit. Either way if anyone can suggest an alternative I'd appreciate it. I used to use Cloud Drive Sync but it looks like it's no longer compatible with the recent versions of QTS.
See if this works for you: https://www.dropbox.com/t/hOI9rujebXiFYcdP
It is a qpkg file: CloudDriveSync_2.1.440_x86_64.qpkg
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

Who is the developer of CloudDriveSync? Can I read up on their web site to learn more about it?
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Post by Ron1963 »

Qnap...
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

alokeprasad wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:46 am Who is the developer of CloudDriveSync?
Qnap. Cloud Drive Sync was deprecated when the functionality was integrated into HBS.

If you want it, don't download from the dropbox link supplied in this thread as downloading and running software from unknown sources is a huge security risk in itself. Don't do that!

Instead go to the Qnap App center, set it to QTS 4.4.0 and download Cloud Drive Sync for your Qnap model or at least some similar model using the same architecture.
Can I read up on their web site to learn more about it?
Google Qnap Cloud Drive Sync and you will get several links.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

Thx for the info, P3R.
Any insights about the HBS's problems with backups: the long time to estimate the BU size, and the slow speed of transfers to USB HDD's?

As for CloudDriveSync from the Dropbox site, I was trying to avoid code of uncertain origins. Thx for the offer, Philip, though.

I'll wait a bit for Qnap to fix HBS.
They are apparently aware of the problem.
philipellis
Starting out

Post by philipellis »

alokeprasad wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 am Thx for the info, P3R.
Any insights about the HBS's problems with backups: the long time to estimate the BU size, and the slow speed of transfers to USB HDD's?

As for CloudDriveSync from the Dropbox site, I was trying to avoid code of uncertain origins. Thx for the offer, Philip, though.

I'll wait a bit for Qnap to fix HBS.
They are apparently aware of the problem.
I didn't know that QNAP provided a way to download old qpkg's - thanks for the pointer, P3R.
alokeprasad, no problem, I was paying a favour forward as someone I trust provided the qpkg to me. As a double-check, I put 'my' qpkg through MD5 and it matches the one from QNAP.
If it helps, I've configured CDS for the OneDrive connection that HBS was having a problem with. It's still running (I had a lot of files for it to consider!), but it has dealt properly with 4 x 90MB files that HBS wouldn't entertain. I'd definitely consider using CDS until QNAP sort out HBS. QNAP's QA dept. need to get better!
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Post by Ron1963 »

Thanks for trusting me Philip :)
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
Reallyusefulcomp
New here

Post by Reallyusefulcomp »

Would be useful if the log gave some indication at which file/folder the sync had failed. I've resorted to syncing one folder at a time until I encounter an error, which although a ball ache seems to be working so far.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

alokeprasad wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 am Any insights about the HBS's problems with backups: the long time to estimate the BU size, and the slow speed of transfers to USB HDD's?
No I'm sorry. I noticed when I created a new versioned job that the initial backup seemed to slow down drastically. I think I was on version 14.0.1215 then. The workaround I used to deal with it was to stop and restart the job. It didn't work well but at least seemed to improve the situation. I have versioned backups (no QuDedup) running to both a USB-connected disk and NASes. Once the initial backup is done, the backups run well in my experience.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

In my experience w HBS3 v 14.0.1215 and later, the entire process is dysfunctional. The estimation process goes on for hrs without starting any file copying, or if I terminate and re-start HBS, the BU proceeds at very slow rates. This is with splitting the job into smaller pieces. With larger jobs, the process is stuck at estimating stage.

I recreated the jobs (with smart versioning and no Dedup to NTFS USB HDD). That's the setting I always use. No change to the above behavior.

I am loath to switch to clouddrivesync or some other software, because the goal is to have versioned backups over many past months that I can take to any Windows machine and get current or older files. I'm not sure if other software's backups will work with versioning the same way when HBS gets fixed. Typically, when one switches software, the BU sets start afresh.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

alokeprasad wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:42 am The estimation process goes on for hrs without starting any file copying...
Well the time would depend on both data volumes and number of files but that there's a long initial phase when determining differences between source and destination before the actual copying starts isn't surprising or any indication of a problem.
I recreated the jobs (with smart versioning and no Dedup to NTFS USB HDD).
At least previously versioned backups to NTFS or HFS+ had issues. I always run Ext4. The last external backup I did took 6 minutes and 21 seconds for 3.83 TB (819146 files) with 151.42 MB (132 files) updated. I find that very good.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Reallyusefulcomp wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:55 pm Would be useful if the log gave some indication at which file/folder the sync had failed.
Check the Debug report. It can be found in the Help menu, the three vertically aligned dots in the upper right corner of HBS. The download will be a .zip file in which you can find detailed logs. It's in no way user friendly but I think that you could find what you want if you search for it.

alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

P3R wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:19 am
Well the time would depend on both data volumes and number of files but that there's a long initial phase when determining differences between source and destination before the actual copying starts isn't surprising or any indication of a problem.
All my testing was done on freshly formatted USB HDD. I did a full error scan using WD Utilities (on a Win10 PC), formatted it as NTFS on the NAS and still got this behavior.

There were recent updates to HBS which precipitated this. I wish I had kept track (probably still could by digging through the NAS logs ..).
gumyneitor
New here

Post by gumyneitor »

Hola a todos.

Lo primero de todo me presento por ser nuevo en este foro, y lo segundo pido disculpas por expresarme en Español, sorry, my english is very bad.

Buscando informacion sobre este problema del error 113 del HBS3 con las ultimas actualizaciones, me he puesto a investigar y he encontrado una solucion que espero que os ayude.

Parece ser que desde la ultima actualizacion no conecta con el servidor remoto RTRR, con lo que arranca la copia de seguridad pero no pasa del 4-5% y da error 113.

Revisando la configuracion he entrado que cambiando el nombre del host del servidor remoto por la IP editando la programacion de la tarea de backup ya si funciona, por lo que es un problema de que con la nueva version no resuelve el nombre y hay que usar la IP para que conecte con el remoto.
Editando esto le dais aprobar y ya conecta al remoto.

Probarlo y espero que os ayude.

Saludos.

Return to “Backup & Restore”