QSync (Win10) This folder does not support sync.

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Steve62
Starting out

QSync (Win10) This folder does not support sync.

Post by Steve62 »

Running Qsync on a Windows 10 PC - everything was fine. I had a number of my user folders (Pictures, Documents, Downloads, etc.) on one of the PC drives syncing to my Qnap TS-251D without any issues. For various reasons, I decided the PC needed a clean reinstall of Windows 10.

Once I did this, I reinstalled the Windows Qsync client and tried to set up the folders to sync again. I can select the folders on the NAS< but when I try to select the folder on the local machine, I get the response "This folder does not support sync." To be honest, I don't even know what that means, particularly as they did support sync until I reinstalled windows.

Any ideas?
Qnap TS-251D-2G, 2 x 2GB drives in RAID1 on Windows 10.
Steve62
Starting out

Re: QSync (Win10) This folder does not support sync.

Post by Steve62 »

Only solution I could find was to move all the files off the Windows drive, delete and reformat the drive and move the files back again. A bit time consuming, but it worked.
Qnap TS-251D-2G, 2 x 2GB drives in RAID1 on Windows 10.
Bacon2002
New here

Post by Bacon2002 »

Hi,
I am having the same problem with QSync, when I try to pair my W10 Documents folder Qsync give me the error message "This folder does not support sync."
It is not an option for me to delete and reformat this drive as this is the primary drive on my laptop.
Surely there is a way to be able to sync the documents, picture and video folders..... Surely this is what Qsync is meant to be able to do - backup these sorts of folders?
Can someone help, please none of the usual comments like "why are you trying to backup the documents folder", I just am.
David
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

I would check Qsync settings on the NAS as well as the client. If you get no joy, then open a call.
Bacon2002
New here

Post by Bacon2002 »

Nothing I can find in Qsync software, the problem is the permissions and W10 but there is no support iro how to fix it.
How do I "open a call" regarding Qsync?
Thanks
Bacon2002
New here

Post by Bacon2002 »

Anyone having a QNAP NAS problem, don't expect much help from this forum.
But the good news is that you can open a ticket by logging into your NAS via a web browser and selecting the "Help centre" option from the left hand drop down in the main web page, at least that's where I found the help centre.
I can't even figure out how to change my forum password, kind of nuts. If anyone knows or find out how then let me know....
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Bacon2002 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:21 pm I can't even figure out how to change my forum password, kind of nuts. If anyone knows or find out how then let me know....
Forum password change should be available in your User Control Panel -> Profile tab -> Edit account settings. It's just below the section for updating your email address:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
matthew7_13
First post

Post by matthew7_13 »

I found a workaround!!! One that doesn't involved reformatting your drive!

Problem... there is something wrong in Windows 10 that is preventing QSync for working correctly. Here is my simple workaround that fixed all my problems.

Step 1. Create a folder called 'temp' on your C drive (could be named anything really...). Then create another folder in 'temp' that is the same name as your folder you want to sync.
Step 2. Go to the folder you are having trouble syncing (in my case, it was all the default locations - music, videos, pictures, documents, downloads, etc.) For simplicity... lets assume we are using Documents.
Step 3. In File Explorer, right click on that folder and select 'properties'.
Step 4. Click on the 'Location' tab. Notice the location (probably c:\users\... copy and paste that into a txt file (or email, whatever). You will need this later.
Step 5. click the 'Move' button, and select the folder location you created in c:\temp\... and click OK. This will move those files to the new location.
Step 6. After the folder and files have been moved, delete the original folder in c:\users (from step 4).
Step 7. Now, create a NEW folder with the same name as you just deleted in the c:\users\... folder.
Step 8. In File Explorer, right click on the default documents folder (the one shown under 'This PC'). Select properties and location again.
Step 9. Repeat step 5 to move it to the new folder you just created in step 7.
Step 10, after the move is complete, QSync works perfectly.

Rinse and repeat for all effected folders.

Enjoy!!
dmercer3
Starting out

Post by dmercer3 »

This is not a solution... why cant we sync whatever folder we want in windows 10 anymore?

And the solution matthew7_13 proposed is very helpful, however doesnt work for those of us that have over 2TB of files in our QSYNC folder on an external drive....
Bryanm
First post

Post by Bryanm »

Was there ever a solution to this. I'm having exact same problem
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Bryanm wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:38 am Was there ever a solution to this. I'm having exact same problem
Did you also reinstall Win10?
Did you try the solution from @matthew7_13?
Did you try to create and sync a new folder?
Did you try to release folder pairs (keep data at NAS and PC) and re-establish folder pairs afterwards?

I did reinstall Win10 some months ago, I was replacing a HDD with a SSD and did not have had any issues with running Qsync after new installation of Win10.
May be its a problem in newer versions? There have been some updates in the meantime for the client and for Qsync central as well.

If all of above fails, create a support ticket.

Regards
GlenPaton@gmail.com
New here

Post by GlenPaton@gmail.com »

unfortunately, as someone else has stated, this forum is used by a bunch of newbies like myself and really doen't provide any help. In fact I've neve found a proper solution in this forum.
There need to be a QNAP company expert who can help people on this forum or someone who is QNAP knowledgible to assist. It annoys me to have to write a service ticket every time I have a small problem.
I may move to Synology when I upgrade my NAS to see if they perform any better!
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

You never found a proper solution in this forum?

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=118222&p=719609#p719609

BTW: I did not find any problems from you posted here to get an answer. So its easy to say "not getting any help". :wink:

Regards

Return to “Backup & Restore”