Log of Skipped Files

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
markpopham
First post

Log of Skipped Files

Post by markpopham »

Hello! Just got my very first QNAP NAS (TS-251D) and copied over 40,000 photographs I had scattered about on various external hard drives. I did this by just creating a Photos folder and dragging them in (most in folders but some loose, as I planned to actually organize once they're in there) and while doing so I clicked "skip duplicate files," not realizing that with this many files there might be organically-appearing duplicate file names. Looking through the System Access Logs in the QuLogs center I found what appears to be all of my file-copying logs, but nothing is labeled "skipped" - the Action column is all "Copied." I guess I was just wondering - if files were skipped, would they appear here? Is there another log or way to sort the log where I'd find a list of all skipped files?

Thanks!
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: Log of Skipped Files

Post by Toxic17 »

You are better to copy everything over, then run a duplicate/clone checking application from your PC to the NAS share where the images are. This will allow you to view the duplicate images and remove the ones you dont want rather than expecting some logfile to tell you a file was "skipped"

Skipping a file due to a filename is not the best option since it may skip a better quality image or a totally different image just because of the filename is the same.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55

Return to “Backup & Restore”