Copy Hidden .qpkg Directory to External HardDrive

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
apennismightier
Starting out

Copy Hidden .qpkg Directory to External HardDrive

Post by apennismightier »

I'm a bit of a QNAP noob, but I wanted to know how I can view the .qpkg root in a file explorer and copy some items to an attached external harddrive. All I want to do is view the hidden root files, and there haven't been any backup or sync programs that allow me to do it.

I was using Duplicati to backup that directory, but it takes a ridiculously long time finding and repackaging everything into zip folders. I just want a straight copy of the folder. I've tried to SSH into my server, but when I copy that directory to the attached external 1TB HDD I have connected to my QNAP, it says that the connection/process times out.

I don't understand why it's so hard to just let us view the hidden root directories in the File Station.
syncthing
Know my way around

Re: Copy Hidden .qpkg Directory to External HardDrive

Post by syncthing »

as far as I remember there are many symlinks pointing outside of the directory, maybe also some symlink loops - didn't check it

which command did you use to copy?
apennismightier
Starting out

I used WinSCP to log into my NAS and then simply copied it from the hidden folder to an external hard drive that was connected to it (the NAS). It kept timing out.
syncthing
Know my way around

Post by syncthing »

maybe just use putty or something similar to ssh into the nas and then directly copy from the nas to the connected external HDD
apennismightier
Starting out

Why would putty be any different? I'd be using the same protocols to connect.
syncthing
Know my way around

Post by syncthing »

SCP is a network protocol, maybe not the best idea to do a local copy
apennismightier
Starting out

I don't see any other way to do so. I can't get to the hidden folder via any on-board stock app within the NAS. It's either using a backup app that takes forever because it needs to package everything up or to do a Lan download from the NAS to another machine. I just to copy from my first NAS drive to an external HDD.
syncthing
Know my way around

Post by syncthing »

use putty and then in the terminal use either cp, rsync, or even tar or whatever you prefer to copy the files to your HDD
but use the option to copy symlinks as symlinks and not follow them and copy the contents
apennismightier
Starting out

syncthing wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:22 am use putty and then in the terminal use either cp, rsync, or even tar
You lost me there. I recognized .tar. Are you saying compress them then transfer them? I want to avoid that. Duplicati does that and it makes the process take 3 days instead of like 30 hours.

I'm just straight copying the folder I want if I can. I'll get Putty set up and see how far I can get. Thanks.
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

apennismightier wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:18 am ...
I don't understand why it's so hard to just let us view the hidden root directories in the File Station.
It is not very hard at all, you just need to read the manual, learn how shared folders work within QTS and make them.

I do this for all on my units. Control Panel -> Shared Folders -> Create Shared Folder.
create_share.png
cachedev1_share.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)

Return to “Backup & Restore”