Qnap nas raid problem. Please help.

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
nixis11
New here

Qnap nas raid problem. Please help.

Post by nixis11 »

Hello, i have raid 10 system on qnap. It wasnt active. when i write a command "md_checker" status was offline. So i made a mistake and write following command

mdadm -CfR –assume-clean /dev/md1 -n 4 -l 5 -c 64 -e 1.0 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdc3 /dev/sdd3

but this is for raid 5. But i had using raid 10. Now when i write md_checker it shows raid 5 and active. But i cant see files. Is there a way make it raid 10 again? so i'm upset
elvisimprsntr

Re: Qnap nas raid problem. Please help.

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Why are you using the CLI in the first place?

Sadly, you likely lost your files. You have backups right? RAID is not a backup.

https://linux.die.net/man/8/mdadm
--assume-clean
Tell mdadm that the array pre-existed and is known to be clean. It can be useful when trying to recover from a major failure as you can be sure that no data will be affected unless you actually write to the array. It can also be used when creating a RAID1 or RAID10 if you want to avoid the initial resync, however this practice - while normally safe - is not recommended. Use this only if you really know what you are doing.
When the devices that will be part of a new array were filled with zeros before creation the operator knows the array is actually clean. If that is the case, such as after running badblocks, this argument can be used to tell mdadm the facts the operator knows.
When an array is resized to a larger size with --grow --size= the new space is normally resynced in that same way that the whole array is resynced at creation. From Linux version 3.0, --assume-clean can be used with that command to avoid the automatic resync.
Have you tried to stop the array and re-issue the correct command?
nixis11
New here

Post by nixis11 »

How can i stop the array?
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

mdadm --stop /dev/md1
nixis11
New here

Post by nixis11 »

i stopped and try again.

when i command that
mdadm -CfR –assume-clean /dev/md1 -n 4 -l 10 -c 512 -e 1.0 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdc3 /dev/sdd3

gives this warning

You have listed more devices (5) than are in the array(4)!
nixis11
New here

Post by nixis11 »

You scared me but I didn't lose my files. There was a way to fix the problem. I contacted qnap support, they remotely connected and accessed my files. Thank you to them.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

now start making external backups

Return to “Backup & Restore”