TR - 004 help.

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
MarqOnyx
New here

TR - 004 help.

Post by MarqOnyx »

Hi all. New to the raid and NAS world. I just picked up a TR-004 to use as a DAS for my media and it is thunder bolted to my mac mini. I am having a couple issues and have some questions I can’t seem to find answers to.

1. On the Mac. What format do you recommend having the drives formatted to before setting up the Raid 5.

2. I am trying to find the storage and snapshot app but for the life of me I can not. Is it not supported on this model unit or what.

3. If there is no snapshot. Then how do I do a hot swap if a drive fails. The manual says to use the snapshot app for that process but again I can not find that app at all.

Sorry if some of this is repeat. But I have been looking for 3 hours with no luck

Thanks for any help.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TR - 004 help.

Post by dolbyman »

The TR004 is USB 3 not TB

1. The drives need to be formatted after, not before
2. That is only for NAS devices, this is a DAS it has no snapshots
3. Snapshots has nothing to do with failed drives, for drive failures you just hotswap a new drive in
MarqOnyx
New here

Post by MarqOnyx »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:20 am The TR004 is USB 3 not TB

1. The drives need to be formatted after, not before
2. That is only for NAS devices, this is a DAS it has no snapshots
3. Snapshots has nothing to do with failed drives, for drive failures you just hotswap a new drive in
Thanks for such a fast reply. I know it is usb C but I have it connected via thunderbolt cable to a thunderbolt port on my Mac.

On my end the computer forced me to format the drives before the qnap could see them. Then I selected raid 5 and it made me format them all again this time as a single large storage. So my question still is what format should I do on the format?

In regards to the failed drive issue. The manual says to use that app. So if I do not have that. Do I just yank the drive snd replace. Or do I need to do something in the utility software?

Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the qnap has no idea what you do with the presented block storage device..format it however you like (ntfs,hfs,exfat,etc)

I have to look at the manual again..but anything else other than "yank and replace" wouldn't make any sense
MarqOnyx
New here

Post by MarqOnyx »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:45 pm the qnap has no idea what you do with the presented block storage device..format it however you like (ntfs,hfs,exfat,etc)

I have to look at the manual again..but anything else other than "yank and replace" wouldn't make any sense
I just did a test myself. Even though the drive was fine I yanked it and put in a new one. It degraded and immediately started to rebuild. WORKED PERFECT.

Thanks for all the help. Now on to figuring out why I get 30mbps read/write speeds on a thunderbolt USB C cable vs 150's on a USB 3.1 to USB C cable.

Return to “Backup & Restore”