How to take drive out of NAS

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
ozstar
Easy as a breeze

How to take drive out of NAS

Post by ozstar »

Hi,

I am one of those Qnap thousands bitten by the Ransomeware virus. I have been able to retrieve all 955,500 files with PuTTY and PhotRec albiet the filenames being replaced with numbers.

I want now to take the only drive out of the box so I can use GetDatBack recvery to see if I can get the files back withb their anmes and directoty structure.

I have taken an image of the disk and all apps and firmware are up to date.

Do I just turn the NAS box off and take it out, then put it back when done and turn it on?

Thanks
QNAP TS-231P 2 x 4TB Group 1 RAID 1
QNAP TS-451A 3 x 2 TB Group 1 RAID 5
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: How to take drive out of NAS

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

you could try this?
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=159692&p=782706

but ultimately you should be doing backups on a separate device
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

For myself keep backups. i even ran the exercise that allows me to reinitialize, recover and backup. took only 2 days to complete this for a raid5 4x 4tb hdd config :}
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=155142&start=30#p788522

ozstar wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:09 am Do I just turn the NAS box off and take it out, then put it back when done and turn it on?
power down your nas, when it's powered off, then you can remove the hdds. it use to be last time for raid, that the order of the hdds mattered. i think they changed it in one of the firmwares so the order doesn't matter, although i'm not too sure, so you can just take not which hdd belong to which bay originally so you can put it back the same way you took it out later.

when you are done, you can put back hdd. then power on nas. but if it's got an infection..... :S i wouldn't use the nas for production until after i had removed the malware first.

ideally you'd have a backup, then you reinitialize your nas (after first wiping the partitions on all your hdds, and then formating them outside the nas using hdd docker or connect to your pc direct), maybe reflash dom is required?
https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery

then recover your data from your backup (assuming the backup is not affected).
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
ozstar
Easy as a breeze

Re: How to take drive out of NAS

Post by ozstar »

Thank you so much guys.

Yes I now have a backup on another USB as individual folders and files, as well as an True image of the whole drive.

I am usually good about b/ups however this time I was so busy trying to get back after this crazy Covid stuff, I put it off until this weekend, and there you go, Murphy's Law got me !

At least I still have the files and I will try the Data Recovery now to yet another drive.

Thanks again. Always great to get a life raft when needed.
QNAP TS-231P 2 x 4TB Group 1 RAID 1
QNAP TS-451A 3 x 2 TB Group 1 RAID 5

Return to “Backup & Restore”