Backing up data to external SATA hard drives?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
sleepy_panda
Starting out

Backing up data to external SATA hard drives?

Post by sleepy_panda »

I have a TVS-672XT populated with 12tb drives but have a spare bay which I was keeping for future expansion. I have some 4TB SATA drives I want to use for backing up cold data to and had a few queries. I mainly use Macs, sometimes Linux and planning on buying a PC later this year.

1) Can I use the spare bay to archive data to the 4TB hard drives in a way that the data would be readable by Mac, Linux, Windows? If so how - the backup job feature only offers external to local or local to external.

2) If it is possible, would it actually be any faster than just attaching the hard drives via a hard drive dock (connecting with USB 3)?

3) If it is possible can I format the drives as exFat?

4) If it is possible, is disc encryption also possible?

Thanks for any advice suggestions.
deathmage85
Starting out

Re: Backing up data to external SATA hard drives?

Post by deathmage85 »

I'd say just get an external and hook it up via usb and copy the data that way. I wouldn't recommend you plug in a drive into the open slot. I wouldn't do disk encryption unless it's a SED that will retain the encryption key for use with other arrays. if you need ExFAT it's probably best you use an external, format it as ExFat, and attempt your backup in that capacity.
Sr. System Administrator
Certifications: Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert x 3, Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert, Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator, Office 365 Messaging Administrator, Microsoft Certified: Azure Virtual Desktop Specialty, VMware VCP 5 & 6 DCV/NV, VMware vExpert 2015-2021, CompTIA: A+, Network+, Storage+, Server+, Security+, CySA+, CASP+
Blog: https://www.G15IT.com

Lab:
(1) TS-832X - (Hybrid) - (4) 8 TB WD Red Pro in RAID 10, (4) WD Blue 1 TB SSD's in RAID 5 - QM2 Dual M.2 SSD card

(1) TS-832X - (All-Flash) - (8) 1 TB WD Blue SSD's in RAID 5 - QM2 Dual M.2 SSD card

(2) TS-230 - (2) 6 TB's RAID 1 - Backup repository for Veeam BR 9.5

(1) TS-453D - (4) 6 TB's in RAID 6 - File Server with QM2 Dual M.2 SSD card
sleepy_panda
Starting out

Post by sleepy_panda »

That's kinda what I was thinking but was just curious regarding the extra bay I'm not currently using. Thanks for response.
TVS-672XT (8Gb)
Firmware: Version 5.0.0.1850
Seagate Iron Wolf drives (raid 5)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe™ M.2 SSD (raid 1) [for system + vms]
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1) no .. always do backups to external drives , internal bays will not be usable to read in other devices
2) see 1)
3) Yes .. but you need to buy a license https://license2.qnap.com/ProductBrowse ... 92&pid=439
4) Yes it is, see the manual
sleepy_panda
Starting out

Post by sleepy_panda »

Answer to Q1 covers the queries and clarifies what I was wondering. Thanks for response.
TVS-672XT (8Gb)
Firmware: Version 5.0.0.1850
Seagate Iron Wolf drives (raid 5)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe™ M.2 SSD (raid 1) [for system + vms]

Return to “Backup & Restore”