@Recycle Retention time not working?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Ricks_Radio
Starting out

@Recycle Retention time not working?

Post by Ricks_Radio »

Please bear with me as this may just be a misinterpretation of the @RECYCLE function. My interpretation is that when files are deleted from my QNAP NAS they are sent to the @RECYCLE bin and kept for a specified time. Sure enough that "sort of" happens. The files go to @RECYCLE as required.

My problem is the retention time function. My settings are:
(x) Enable network recycle bin
File Retention Time (30) days
Daily check at 15:10

(x) Excluded file - set to defaults

My problem -- the retention time settings seem to be ignored and nothing is ever deleted? A group of 5 or 6 files from my EaseUS backup software enter @RECYCLE every couple of weeks or so and nothing is deleted? I've attached a JPG of a recent example that triggered a NAS HDD space warning.

Any clarification of what's happening would be appreciated. Thanks.

NAS is a TS-231P
Firmware: 4.5.2.1594
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oe3arc
New here

Re: @Recycle Retention time not working?

Post by oe3arc »

Hi,

was there any solution for this problem? I noticed the same and digged a little bit into it.
The Help Center of the NAS lead says:
> QTS will add 1 day to your specified setting as the file retention time.
> The file retention time countdown starts right after: a) the file is deleted or b) the file is last accessed in the Network Recycle Bin.

So I suspected, that the file(s) might have been accessed during the retention time. I logged to the NAS via ssh and navigated to the affected @Recycle folder and cecked the last access time with "stat". Bingo, my files have been accessed recently, so this will most probably be the reason for not being deleted.

Now I have to find out, who is accessing the files in @Recycle. I access my files on the NAS with Windows PCs via smb.
Have to investigate further,
any ideas?

br
Andy

Return to “Backup & Restore”