HBS3 v17.0.0512 Smart Versioning

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Fuzzy John
Getting the hang of things

HBS3 v17.0.0512 Smart Versioning

Post by Fuzzy John »

I have seen this topic brought up a few times but either I did not understand the replies or the replies were for older versions of HBS.
Recently I had to retire my Windows Home Server 2011 with its wonderful backup system so I switched to backing up the NAS folders to a USB 3 enclosure connected to my TS-451+ NAS.
I setup HBS3 with a backup job to be run daily at 7:00 AM. I also set Smart Versioning to 0 hours, 7 days, 8 weeks and 6 months.
Now that I have over a week of backups I checked a Restore job and I see that I can only select from the last 7 days of backups. I expected to also see a weekly backup in the selection list but I do not see one.
Do I have to create Weekly and Monthly schedules in addition to the Daily schedule in my Backup Job?
Do I have to create separate Backup jobs for the Weekly and Monthly?
I am attaching a screenshot that shows the folder structure of the backup drive in FileStation 5.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-451+ with 8 GB RAM and 4 IronWolf 2TB (RAID-5).
User of Windows Home Server since early 2008. RIP May 4th, 2021. :cry:
P3R
Guru

Re: HBS3 v17.0.0512 Smart Versioning

Post by P3R »

Fuzzy John wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:30 am I setup HBS3 with a backup job to be run daily at 7:00 AM. I also set Smart Versioning to 0 hours, 7 days, 8 weeks and 6 months.
Now that I have over a week of backups I checked a Restore job and I see that I can only select from the last 7 days of backups. I expected to also see a weekly backup in the selection list but I do not see one.
Your one week old backup is the same as the 7 day old backup so no need to save it separately as a weekly backup. After two weeks you will see a weekly backup as well. Or if you prefer, you could lower the the days to 6, to see the one week old backup as a weekly backup instead.

At least that's how I understand and have used Smart versioned backups for years.
Do I have to create Weekly and Monthly schedules in addition to the Daily schedule in my Backup Job?
No.
Do I have to create separate Backup jobs for the Weekly and Monthly?
No.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Fuzzy John
Getting the hang of things

Re: HBS3 v17.0.0512 Smart Versioning

Post by Fuzzy John »

Thank you for clarifying this. When I go to create a Restore job I now see a backup several days before the group of daily backups. I suppose that is the first retained weekly backup.
I wish there was an option to hide the days without backups.
TS-451+ with 8 GB RAM and 4 IronWolf 2TB (RAID-5).
User of Windows Home Server since early 2008. RIP May 4th, 2021. :cry:

Return to “Backup & Restore”