HBS backup job is very slow and basically incapable to finish

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
TinoArts
Starting out

HBS backup job is very slow and basically incapable to finish

Post by TinoArts »

I have a TS-131P with a 4 TB drive inside the bay, and another 4 TB external drive connected via USB. I have created a simple Backup job in HBS - no encryption, no versioning, no filters, no additional checks - pretty much the default settings when creating a job.

A have two partitions on my internal hard drive, each containing one wrapper folder. With the backup job I am trying to backup these two folders to an external hard drive - so, I've told HBS to do a Local NAS -> Local NAS backup. Total amount of data to be backed up is less than 2 TB (internal drive is half-empty), however there are tons of smaller files (and tons of big ones as well).

The first backup run was running for 40+ hours and it was on 50% or so, when I've noticed couple of Warnings in the log:

Code: Select all

[Hybrid Backup Sync[ Failed to complete Backup job. "NAS_Backup". Operation not supported by destination. Attempting to retry. Error code: -95
However, the backup job seemed to be running without a problem. Couple of hours later I've noticed there was another message in the log, with very same error text and code, but this time it was not a Warning, but instead an Error and my backup job went to 'Stopped' section. I've run it again and it started from the beginning, but it went to more then 50% quite fast (few hours), so it seems it skipped non-modified files correctly.

I've created a support ticket with detailed information and dump logs from QTS, but I pretty much only got vague and generic answers, saying that my hard drive might not be compatible and I should purchase another one. The external drive is Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR (ST4000VN008). I also did various health checks of both drives and they seem all right. They both are not older than 1 year.

I've already tried to run the backup job 3 or 4 times, but never actually got pass the 60-ish % point. I have also noticed that when it is actually copying files (and not skipping), it is very slow. This morning (after whole night of backup job running) there were no errors (and it was somewhere near 60%), but I've noticed the backup speed is 1-2 MB/s, sometimes even below 1000 KB/s, which is ridiculously slow considering it is a local backup. I've stopped the job, restarted the NAS and run it again. It is currently running at this very moment, it's on 43% and the speed is consistently between 8-10 MB/s, which is still very, very slow considering the limits of both hard drives. The only thing I found online is to increase the default value of backup log limit from 10 MB to something bigger, I did it, but didn't seem to help much.

During these tests I've also experienced a strange thing, when I was unable to run a backup job with the Destination set to my external hard drive, due to some permission errors (I remember the 50 error code). I was also unable to create a folder on that drive using File station. The 'admin' users already had the r/w rights for that drive, however the 'administrators' group had 'Deny access'. However, I've added the 'r/w' rights to the group as well, but the problem still persisted. It somehow, strangely, got fixed when I plugged the drive to my Windows 10 PC and created a new directory there. After that I was able to plug it back to the NAS and create directories freely, and run backup jobs. This got me thinking if the external drive is being ejected during the process - but I've checked the Storage & Disks settings and it seems like this is not an issue.

Also, it seems very strange that it is actually copying files that already were backed up with previous runs and I am 100% they were not modified in any way. Is this a normal behaviour?
At this point I am basically unable to backup my data (other than copying it manually).

Thank you VERY much.
TinoArts
Starting out

Re: HBS backup job is very slow and basically incapable to finish

Post by TinoArts »

Update: New day, yet another failed run with the same error (operation not supported by destination. Error code: -95). It was running since circa 13:00, and at 23:00 it started throwing those Warnings (3 in total), and around midnight, it failed with this error message.

I am currently trying to split the backup job into 2 separate jobs, one for each partition. The smaller partition (0.5 TB) is currently running, I will post an update here.
jsteng
Getting the hang of things

Post by jsteng »

check health of external drive. maybe that one is dying already...
TinoArts
Starting out

Post by TinoArts »

I actually did, it seems all right.

Partial backup of one partition (0.5 TB) went successfully. I am currently starting second backup job of another partition (1 TB) and I will see how it'll go.
TinoArts
Starting out

Post by TinoArts »

Update: Backup job of second partition (1+ TB) finished successfully as well. I had to pause it in between the process (at around 88%) and then ran it again, but it did.

Question 1: Could the backup job be somehow failing, because I was trying to backup two separate DataVol partitions at once? Considering it always failed around 66%, it should actually fir this case (1.5 TB of data, 1.0 TB on DataVol1, 0.5 TB on DataVol2), as if it was failing when jumping from DataVol1 to DataVol2.

Question 2: How fast should incremental backup (second run with no more than just couple hundreds MB worth of changes) generally be on Seagate IronWolf ST4000VN008 and TS-131P ? As I mentioned, I stopped it 88% and ran it again, and it took around 12 hours to get to 88% again (it should incrementally compare circa 900 GB worth of data). Is this a normal speed? I was hoping to get a stable daily backups (or maybe every other day), but with such speeds I shouldn't be backing up my data more often than once a week.

Thank you.

Return to “Backup & Restore”