QNAP STATUS LIGHT CLICKING, NO LONGER POWER ON; HOW TO RECOVER RAID1 DATA?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
AirdrieComputer
New here

QNAP STATUS LIGHT CLICKING, NO LONGER POWER ON; HOW TO RECOVER RAID1 DATA?

Post by AirdrieComputer »

Hello everyone. Hoping someone can help with this issue.

Currently I am experiencing an issue with a clients 2-BAY QNAP (TS-231P) that we were using to perform wireless backups for his PC and laptop at his home office network. He brought it into the shop the other day because he was wanting to recover important outlook / document files from the backup software that saves to the QNAP network share. However, I suspect he simply unplugged it while it was running and never powered it down properly (either through the GUI or by holding down the power button) because its no longer powering on properly and behaving like it has been bricked! When it’s plugged in the hard drive lights and status light immediately turn on (without pushing the power button) and the status light makes an audible click sound after 3 seconds and turns off for 1 second and on again (the hard drive lights however stay on and if you plug in a LAN cable those lights come on too). Also, the hard drives do not appear to be spinning up so it dosent seem like actual power is going to the NAS drives. I’ve attached a short video here that will help illustrate the symptoms. https://omnispectralservices-my.sharepo ... Q?e=ujFME8

Anyone know what might be going on with the device? Happened suddenly, without much warning and at a totally inopportune time.

Currently I cannot find troubleshooting advice for this on the QNAP support pages, so I’m left to assume that somehow the customer shorted something when he disconnected the power. I assume its either that or something else he has done since we had conducted maintenance on this QNAP end of June and it was working fine then. Upgraded to the latest QTS version and continued functioning up until he brought it to us. This REALLY complicates his recovery because now I cannot access the data shares any longer that contain the backup database files. It is important we recover these files in their original state; so, I’m investigating for the easiest means to do so as the drives themselves are brand new and appear fine.

So my question is: What are my recovery options for pulling data from a QNAP when the QNAP NAS device itself fails? Currently the old QNAP ran two 6TB Seagate Red NAS drives in a RAID1 array. I acquired another 2-BAY QNAP (MODEL NUMBER) (different model since his model is no discontinued). If I removed the RAID1 drives from the old QNAP and inserted into the new QNAP in the same order, is it possible to import the disk volumes and all the data they contain and access them through the network shares? Basically, drawing a blank on how I can recover backup database files (we are using VEEAM Endpoint backup) now that the customer seemingly bricked their backup device.

Anyone that can offer any advice or point me to any guides is super appreciated. If we don’t recover the data we may lose this client; and I often have wondered how I could recover RAID data from a NAS device if the NAS device itself failed. So no better time like the present I guess!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP STATUS LIGHT CLICKING, NO LONGER POWER ON; HOW TO RECOVER RAID1 DATA?

Post by dolbyman »

that sounds like it could be a defective power supply (fails when the drives start)

- get a new power supply
- get a new migration compatible NAS

- recovery from the disks is not easy as they are have an lvm layer (linux tutorials throughout the forum)...external backups of important NAS data are strongly advised at all times (external backups can be plain ntfs..easy to read)
AirdrieComputer
New here

Post by AirdrieComputer »

- get a new power supply

Is that the power adapter thats external to the NAS? Or an internal module as well?

- get a new migration compatible NAS

Would QNAP Support be able to advise on this? The replacement model we acquired was the only other 2-BAY NAS they seem to sell.

It seems like failed NAS devices would be fairly common and its strange that it would be such a nightmare to recover from without yet another backup of the backup. But I guess thats why everyone makes tons of constant backups.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Probably the external powerbrick that would be the culprit (the 12V go directly to the disks)

A unit with migration compatibility can be checked here
https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration

common misconception,:
if the QNAP was the backup, then you still have the original files at a different location (easy to recover)
if the QNAP was the only storage location for the files, the QNAP was NOT a backup .. and backups need to be done

Return to “Backup & Restore”