TimeMachine not working

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Fireblade69
New here

TimeMachine not working

Post by Fireblade69 »

Good morning all

I have a problem with TimeMachine and had opened a ticket, however, I still cannot get any of my Macs to complete a successful TimeMachine backup.

I have followed the instructions and set up a new folder and given each user R/W access. I have also connected via smb to the folder in finder and dragged that mapping into log in. I can see the folder and access the folder from finder each time.

Yet despite this, every time I start a back up it sees the disc and starts the backup and then fails part way through.

I have tried over ethernet and wireless and I have tried from different Mac's too but it simply doesn't work.

Anyone else having this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
mszulc
Starting out

Re: TimeMachine not working

Post by mszulc »

yes, I have the same problem. I've been trying to debug that but failed. While it usually works for small amount of data, I could not finish backup for larger ones, regardless of connection method used. I have sopped using qnap for timemachine. It looks like qnap is not able to deliver this promise...
emoret
New here

Post by emoret »

See how I solved a similar issue here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=164214&p=805477&hi ... ne#p807561
msncookie
New here

Post by msncookie »

I've been running my qnap for a couple weeks now with two Macs (BigSur) backing up over SMB just fine. Simple test restores have been OK. However, one Mac is on a 1GB Ethernet connection, and it was maxing-out the bandwidth during its initial backup, and I was getting "Server connections interrupted" errors in MacOS. Yet despite this popping-up occasionally, the backup completed successfully and I never saw that error again with the incrementals.

Maybe check that AFP is disabled in Network and File Services. It's not needed anymore. I'm also assuming the OP had the "Set this folder as the Time Machine backup folder" option checked on the share.

Return to “Backup & Restore”