Qnap 109 Recovery

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
vanphyl_1
New here

Qnap 109 Recovery

Post by vanphyl_1 »

Hello everyone,
my Qnap 109 has been inactive in years.
- After re-entering the NAS it into my network, I did update the firmware (first mistake: never touch a running system, I know) to 3.3.3. (1003T).
- I then couldn't access it through Qnap QFinder anymore. So after hours of attempting to establish connection through the client, decided to reset the Qnap (next mistake).
- Now, after testing several different older Qnap QFinder versions, I finally have the option to reinitialize the system - which I do not want to do, as I suspect to have important files still stored on my hard drive.

Several other QFinder versions hat the option to connect directly via SSH. This didn't work. Current QFinder 5.0.2 (Windows) at least gives me the reinitialization setup wizard...
I have tried to establish connection through putty+SSH - unfortunately it refuses connection too ("Network error: Connection refused").

My main goal is to recover all my data.

Anyone has any idea what I can do?
I have tried to follow some of mentioned steps here: https://www.cyrius.com/debian/orion/qna ... /recovery/ but have to admit I don't really understand all of it (and am failing with SSH connection anyway).
P3R
Guru

Re: Qnap 109 Recovery

Post by P3R »

The easiest to recover the data is probably to put the disk in a USB-connected dock/enclosure and attach it to a working Qnap. If the disk is still okay you should find all your files in one of the partitions presented. If you don't have a Qnap then any Linux system should be able to read the disk as well.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
vanphyl_1
New here

Post by vanphyl_1 »

Hey again,
thank for your input! I could try this (I have another empty drive I could use to initialize) - however, do you expect the USB connected drive to automatically transfer the files if I connect it to the front USB port? Or would I need to take any specific action?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

You will have to copy the things you want from the disk manually.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
vanphyl_1
New here

Post by vanphyl_1 »

So, I could initialize the QNAP through a different HDD, hoocked the old one to a USB-dock and connected this to both the front and back USB ports:
- The front port doesn't seem to recognize the USB device.
- When connected to either of the ports in the back, the webinterface crashes and sends me back to the main menu (from "External Device/USB Disk in the "Administration" Area). Are there any alternative ways?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

vanphyl_1 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:31 pm Are there any alternative ways?
As I said in my first post here: "...any Linux system should be able to read the disk as well.".

vanphyl_1
New here

Post by vanphyl_1 »

Installed Linux, unfortunately it didn't detect the HDD :/
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hdd might be busted then..does it spin up or make any noise?
vanphyl_1
New here

Post by vanphyl_1 »

It does spin up, doesn't make any unusual noise though. Tricky, I see...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The drive should be recognized by any garden variety linux..if not ..it might be time to talk to a data recovery company

Return to “Backup & Restore”