HBS3 Backup with file missing errors on restore

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
schopi68
New here

HBS3 Backup with file missing errors on restore

Post by schopi68 »

I did a backup to B2 Cloud storage. During the backup the snapshot-storage of the NAS became full, so the drive went to r/o mode and the backup stopped.

After recovering from the r/o mode of the drive, the backup has been manually started again and finished fine.

But: when doing a restore-test, there were files missing:
"Restore jobs "Restore2": Failed to download file/folder from "....xxx". Check the file and try again. Error: the file does not exist in the cloud storage. If you did not manually delete the file, contact the service provider for details."

I could see that the file is marked as stored in the metadata (in the remote backup), but it was not backed up.
A Quick Data Integrity check and also a complete content data integrity check of the data in HBS3 tells me that everything is fine. Especially as according to the description of this check the file existence should be checked.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... k-in-hbs-3

Later i did a complete content check and this told me too that the backup is okay. But during restore there were file missing errors...

This looks to me as if HBS3 is first storing a files metadata into the backup, marks it as uploaded and then the backup is done. And this is not checked correctly in the integrity check.

So the only conclusion of this HBS3 behaviour could be that after every failed (even incremental) backup the whole Backup has to be redone. This is not very funny on a backup with several terabytes.

Any ideas?
crypticc
Starting out

Re: HBS3 Backup with file missing errors on restore

Post by crypticc »

just to advise that I see this issue - and not necessarily on failed jobs, even interrupted backups.

The background is that I went into the exclusion criteria and set to exclude some legacy music file formats and then restarted backup. Now hundred's of files and a dozen folders refuse to backup. I've tried "touch" to update the timestamp on the files and this didn't kick HBS into doing the backup.

Annoying to say the least as I now need to destroy and re-run the backup from scratch.
crypticc
Starting out

Re: HBS3 Backup with file missing errors on restore

Post by crypticc »

edit : Actually recreating the job didn't work. The new job backed up exactly ZERO folders/files. I think I must've put an incorrect exclusion criteria when editing that and hence excluding all files.

Return to “Backup & Restore”