HBS3 Between Hero Nas and QTS Nas

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
casw1000
Getting the hang of things

HBS3 Between Hero Nas and QTS Nas

Post by casw1000 »

Hi all,

I am trying to get my 1288x (Hero) nas to do a real-time replication to my other nas being a QTS 5.0 also running HBS. Both versions are running 19.0.0303. Both NAS are on the same subnet, so lets assume its 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.4. When I look at the HBS storage spaces, it sees only itself and does not see any other local NAS. The only way I can get these two NAS to talk is to setup the services RTRR & R-Sync and a Sync job works.

So what's my issue? Well, I thought the idea of RTRR was to detect any changes on the source NAS and automatically replicate the changed files to the destination. But this doesnt see to work, I dont want to setup a schedule, the idea is real-time.

So what am I missing? Maybe a local nas > nas only works if its the same OS, meaning Hero > Hero, or QTS5 > QTS5? Oh and the specs are shown below.

TVS-h1288X Version h5.0.0.1892
TS-253D Version 5.0.0.1986

Happy to hear your ideas. Thanks.
Colin.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: HBS3 Between Hero Nas and QTS Nas

Post by FSC830 »

The term "local NAS" refers always to the device itself, not to the site.
Even if the other NAS stands site-by-site, its always named a "remote NAS".
So if in HBS "local NAS" is selected the source/destination is in the NAS itself or a device connected by USB.
To connect to any other NAS you need to choose "remote NAS".
And without setting up the RTRR/rsync the two NAS cant connect.

Regards

Edit: A real-time sync can be done as active sync job (not as backup job). But if not changed in recent firmware the smallest interval for sync is 5 minutes, this is IMHO far away from "real time".

Regards
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: HBS3 Between Hero Nas and QTS Nas

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

FSC830 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:45 am The term "local NAS" refers always to the device itself, not to the site.
correct. It sounds confusing because u may have though that meant local lan, but it doesn't. it simply means a location on the same NAS device itself, this could be like for example my TL-D400S which is plugged into the nas, or it could possibly even be an external usb.

FSC830 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:45 am Even if the other NAS stands site-by-site, its always named a "remote NAS".
So if in HBS "local NAS" is selected the source/destination is in the NAS itself or a device connected by USB.
To connect to any other NAS you need to choose "remote NAS".
And without setting up the RTRR/rsync the two NAS cant connect.
so yes if the intent is to backup to another NAS in the SAME local lan network, you would still use "remote nas" in the HBS options. Remote nas in HBS doesn't just mean remote over the internet elsewhere, but it also includes networked devices even on the same lan. People who r not too familiar with HBS might not know this already, hence the confusing due to the "remote" wording :D

FSC830 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:45 am Edit: A real-time sync can be done as active sync job (not as backup job). But if not changed in recent firmware the smallest interval for sync is 5 minutes, this is IMHO far away from "real time".

Regards
one way sync = PUSH from source to destination
i use this to backup from main nas to my backup nas.

one way active sync = PULL from destination to source
i use this to restore my main nas from my backup nas (which is a truenas).

however if i am doing a recover from backup from a QNAP loaded with QTS, i would just use the HBS recover job. The only reason i use active sync for restoring from truenas, is because i couldn't get HBS recover to work with the truenas which is my backup. so i had to use the other method :)

as for rtrr vs rsync, if doing between qnap nas, use RTRR. if using between non qnap nas, use rsync :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Backup & Restore”