Qsync only connects to NAS when laptop has internet connection

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
dutchct
Starting out

Qsync only connects to NAS when laptop has internet connection

Post by dutchct »

A little info about my setup:

My wife and I connect directly to our ts-832x via ethernet cables (no switch or router). We both use MacBooks, but the problem also occurs on windows machines.

Basically, QSync will only connect to the NAS when our laptops have an internet connection, wifi in our case. If we are connected to wifi with no internet access, it won't connect. If we are connected with qsync and the wifi drops, so does the qsync connection.

If we are plugged into the NAS, macos or windows and see our SMB shares no problem, no internet connection required.

I feel like there must be something I'm not understanding about networking as to why Qsync only connects when the laptop has an internet connection.

Any ideas?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Qsync only connects to NAS when laptop has internet connection

Post by dolbyman »

I have never used qsync but maybe it uses the NCSI (Network Connectivity Status Indicator) to start syncing. Easiest thing would be to make the NAS part of your general network so you computers can reach a gateway when connected to the NAS
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

I dont use a Mac, only M$, but there is no need for an internet connection for Qsync to work.
How did you setup the connection from client to NAS, by IP, by name, by QNAP-ID?

In last case I would guess a internet connection is mandatory. If so, remove NAS an reconnect using IP/host name.

Regards
dutchct
Starting out

Post by dutchct »

Thanks for the reply guys.

dolbyman - I'd really like to be able to continue using a direct connection as often our wifi comes from a cell phone hotspot (we live very remote).

FSC830 - I'm using the IP/host name to connect. I've never tried to use Q-ID and when I try to search via LAN, nothing comes up. I always have to punch the host name or ip in. I had the same issues when I ran windows as well, unfortunately.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

At least integrate the NAS with the general network, this way at least DHCP can assign IP's. Direct connection is a *clunky* way to operate a NAS (it's not a DAS)

A direct connection will have a different zero conf (or fixed IP) on different connections, a DHCP assigned IP would be the same from either connection.
dutchct
Starting out

Post by dutchct »

Sooo qsync 5.0.4.0725 just dropped.. and the issue.. appears to be fixed!

Return to “Backup & Restore”